The sci-fi TV thread

George Lucas has also stated that Kurosawa’s, THE HIDDEN FOREST was a heavy influence, too. R2-DA & C-3PO and Han Solo are straight from it. A princess is on the run after her kingdom is destroyed. And you got Toshiro Mifune who’s always great. A fun movie.

This was the Zucker/Abrahms/Zucker schtick. Crazy stuff always happening in the background. All the Police Squad shows, Hot Shots, Kentucky Fried Movie. Those guys were fraking hilarious.

Wasn’t it called “The Hidden Fortress”?

Not Fi, but this looks great.

I think I just found the back cover promo for the novel I’m writing.

2 Likes

I’m just not sure how you improve on the movie, but I’ll watch anything Mercury 7.

The original movie and the book took the position that the Mercury 7 was mostly spectacle and the real studs were the test pilots who worked in obscurity. It’s interesting that the trailer seems to indicate the emphasis will be on the actual astronauts.

Fuck. Yeah.

Correct. My bad.

Oh yeah. I’m in.

The book/ original movie are 2 of my favorites in each category.

Wonder how they’ll treat Grissom and the loss of Liberty Bell 7.

So I gave it a go and I’m really enjoying it. It sets out its stall very early and, so far at least, hasn’t strayed from it; basically it’s if you airdropped Forest Gump into Major League (although Lasso is a coaching savant, rather than idiot savant). It’s amusing without being raucously funny, but the stereotypical characters are well crafted so it all just works. Kinda like Lasso himself.

I suspect that some of the jokes might be a little parochial, and may not translate (I did laugh out loud when a random elementary school kid called him a “wanker”). The same may be true the other way too, in that Lasso’s saccharine, mid-west, indefatigable niceness is laid on a little too thick sometimes. But, in defense of it, they have made it clear that while much of it is meant to be genuine, it’s also Lasso’s weapon of choice as a coach and you see him deploying it knowingly too.

Comfortably better than Space Force (sci-fi tv…check).

FYI, AFC Richmond’s home stadium is actually Crystal Palace’s home stadium: Selhurst Park. Home to the famous (and infamous) Holmesdale Fanatics and their legendary game day displays.

Also, in case you’re interested, the area where Lasso “lives” does actually look like Richmond-on-Thames, but it’s been a long time since I’ve been down to that part of London. And even longer since I’ve been there and left sober, blessed as it is with picturesque, riverside pubs.

1 Like

Isn’t Richmond where the Lloyd’s sevens tournament is held? If so, I’ve neither arrived nor left sober, but I certainly enjoyed my visits. Beautiful area.

Richmond FC is also in the immediate area. They’re a rugby club old enough to pre-date the split between the Rugby Football Union and the Fooball Association in the 1860’s. Attending one of their matches is a tribute to day without sobriety.

1 Like

Is the Richmond Arms still in Houston? Always loved that place.

Haven’t been since COVID, but was going strong prior. I make it up there several times a year to watch soccer.

1 Like

I avoided it when there was a soccer game on. Haven’t been in 25 years though.

1 Like

Used to go there to drink pints and throw darts because I lived in that 'hood back then.

Good to know it’s still there.

I have never understood the appeal of the Richmond Arms. Oh, I have spent far too much time there - back when it was the only place to watch English sports - but I’ve always thought of it as dark, dingy and overpriced.

Sounds like London!

1 Like

Richmond Arms was originally in an old house on Richmond, that was torn down for the Volkswagen dealership. It had charm, and good bands.