The sci-fi TV thread

I’ll watch the entire season again before I start S2, when it comes out.

1 Like

Given the writers strike, that’s probably not this year

1 Like

Production on Severance S2 was having problems even before the writers strike.

It may be a long time before S2 sees the light of day.

I guess they need some sort of way to separate their personal lives so they can focus on their work?

6 Likes

2nd trailer has dropped.

The fact that the SNW/Lower Decks crossover episode isn’t already on Paramount+ is causing me significant distress.

Boimler and Mariner are in the trailer. :raised_hands:

I know, and they look absolutely perfect.

1 Like

Do you think the characters were drawn with a resemblance to the voice actors deliberately with a live action crossover in mind?

I think in general they made most of the characters look like their real-life counterparts, with some obvious exceptions for alien species. I know that the artists were encouraged to draw themselves into the show as background characters. Whether they had a live-action crossover in mind, I have no idea.

1 Like

I know nothing about the books other than people saying they’re very good. Benioff and Weiss certainly know how to make a show look good, hopefully since they have the complete source material to work off of it will be good

I read the whole trilogy. It was pretty amazing.

1 Like

I’m skeptical that it can be brought to the screen in a satisfying manner, but I hope that I’m wrong.

1 Like

It should be fun to watch them try, though. Each book was so different from the last.

It’s going to be weird.

1 Like

I’ve heard the same from friends, that it’s one of those “unfilmable” works (Blood Meridian, Slaughterhouse Five, Confederacy of Dunces also come to mind)

Marvel’s “Secret Invasion” Ep 1 summary:

Oh, hi. There’s an ongoing evil alien plot to end all human life on Earth. Let me explain…

Spoiler

And Maria Hill’s dead.

Some Star Trek updates…

• Not sure if this mentioned, but Discovery was canceled in March. They are doing some reshoots for the upcoming season 5 so that they don’t leave any loose ends.
  • Prodigy was canceled last weekend. They are going to finish production on season 2 and then shop it around to other distributors, otherwise it’ll get the Batgirl treatment. To make matters worse, they’ve already scrubbed season 1 from Paramount+.

So, in the span of about three months, we’ve gone from five active Trek shows to two, with only Picard ending on its own terms.

I get that these shows are expensive, and that all the streamers are losing money. Makes me wonder if Amazon or Apple might be a better steward of Trek going forward. Paramount is never going to give it up though.

1 Like

If they have decided to go with quality over quantity, I’m all for it. Not sure why they chose to open S2 of SNW on that episode, but E2 was phenomenal: classic Trek.

Minor Spoiler for E2

I think they chickened out at the end, though, in that they didn’t go all the way recognizing Illyrians’ rights. Maybe that’s for a later episode.

Spoiler

Trek shows set 100-150 years later, namely DS9 and Prodigy, have established that genetic engineering is still illegal in the Federation. Exceptions are made but only in extraordinary circumstances.

1 Like