The sci-fi TV thread

I just watched episode 3, season 3, Picard. I think it’s so lame that Riker reacted the way he did at the end. He was captain of the ship, he gave the order, the buck stopped with him, he thought about it for a minute and then acted like a total chickenshit.

I hope they give Worf a lot of screen time going forward. He’s actually awesome.

How to respond without spoilers…nope. Can’t do it.

Just keep watching.

1 Like

So Marvel’s “Secret Invasion” series coming to Disney+ is going to be basically the same as Picard S3?

Great timing fellas.

Unfortunate timing, but that plot was set up in Captain Marval several years ago.

Of course, Picard was set up with the Dominion further back than that.

But the Skrulls were even further back.

And it all goes back to Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Everything old is new again.

2 Likes

Good sci-fi is always a commentary on the times in which we live. This is not a good sign.

1 Like

Mandalorian S3E6

Just pure shit.

The relationship between Din and Grogu was both the narrative engine and the emotional heart of the show. It’s disappeared completely.

It’s going to take a heck of a turnaround in two episodes for me to have any interest in season 4.

1 Like

All in service of a pointless side quest. :roll_eyes:

Meanwhile, Picard S3 has got the band back together for what should be a breathless final two episodes.

1 Like

The best episode the show ever did was the one with the Jawa egg and basically no dialogue. It’s so far off from what I enjoyed about it early on.

Also, doesn’t help that we’ve all seen Andor now and we know what actual good Star Wars TV looks like.

You guys are ridiculous.

The next two episodes are going to be all action/drama, and this was the classic silly/easy/funny episode leading up to that.

Comment applies to the show in general, I haven’t seen the latest episode.

Classic Disney Star Wars whiplash. The Ahsoka trailer looks incredible, but they’ve also announced a stand-alone Rey Skywalker movie. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

As long as the movie is written before they start making it, that sounds great.

Keep all the slapdicks that worked on the previous 3 as far away as possible, please.

2 Likes

I listened to the “Going Rogue” podcast recently, all about the making of Rogue One and the behind the scenes trainwreck at Disney-Lucasfilm. It’s really really good. The host also did a second season on Solo, appropriately called “Going Solo.” The host isn’t out to shit on anyone, she gives credit and blame where due, but mostly just walks through the history with a fun attitude toward it all.

Everyone knows Disney rushed the production schedule to a crazy degree (the one movie per year mandate) and hired directors without experience managing productions anywhere near the size of Star Wars, but the podcast offers lots of great details about how those problems manifested. And yeah, three new movies, one from a total novice director, without a clear release order but an apparent mandate to get one of them (??) in theaters by Christmas 2025… history is repeating itself in a bad way.

1 Like

Oh God. No wonder this season is a train wreck.

Skeleton Crew” will be the first Star Wars title with a cast made up almost entirely of children (alongside Jude Law), while “Ahsoka” will pull extensively from the animated “Clone Wars” series that first introduced its title character (played by Rosario Dawson). Both of those shows, along with “The Mandalorian” and “The Book of Boba Fett,” will then climax in an upcoming feature film directed by Lucasfilm veteran Dave Filoni — a clear attempt to bring the Marvel Studios model of mutli-threaded franchise building to a galaxy far, far away.

“… as heir to the empire”

Fuck. Yeah.

So that guy was featured in Rebels, correct?

Yes. But he was first featured in the “Thrawn trilogy”, a series of novels written by Timothy Zahn in the early 90s - before any prequels, and often credited with reigniting interest in Star Wars.

(And if they had just gone with those three books instead of the film sequels, it would have kicked ungodly ass.)

ETA: I guess I should mention that the first of those books is entitled “Heir to the Empire”

2 Likes

Gone with those books and also no JJ but they get a second shot.