The sci-fi TV thread

Is it better than the time Fonzie jumped the shark?

The only criticism I had of the episode was “Where the hell is Potsie?”

It was superbly done. A complete story within the story. I think there may be more of that to come.

However, my inner engineer can’t help but whisper at the end: “gasoline doesn’t last 20 years”.

3 Likes

We know that there’s a factory in Atlanta that makes “guns and pills’. And we know Joel smuggled things to Bill. Not out of the question that gasoline is still being produced.

2 Likes

Good point. I hope they explicitly plug that hole. They dealt with batteries pretty well technically.

I like Sci-Fi, especially the apocalyptic type, to be as technically credible as possible.

There was a post-apocalyptic show a few years back premised with a genetically engineered electricity-eating microbe that took society back to the 19th century. When the good scientist came up with a solution to the microbe years later, the electricity all came back, even though there were no operating power plants.

I didn’t completely buy the explanation for outbreak day happening simultaneously, but it was at least plausible.

Yea, but if it came from foodstuffs, how do they keep it out of the current food supply? Still, not too much of a stretch.

Offerman was so fucking good.

1 Like

In the overall story it was basically a one-off side-plot, but it brought so much humanity to the show overall, it’s going to be one of the most important TV episodes ever.

Also, the PC remaster of the original PS game is going to be released March 3. It will probably sell a few copies.

I’ve never played the game, but from what I understand, this was the first major departure from the game.

It’s been so long since I played it I really don’t remember, but I think Frank and Bill were just minor NPCs with no real character development.

With only a 10-year-old video game for the source material, they’ll have to flesh out some characters and side-stories like this to fill up nine episodes. But wow, what a beginning.

Picard S3 E1 had big “ST: The Motion Picture” vibes about it. In a good way.

Also, Beverly is Crusher by name and Crusher by nature. She ain’t playing.

Spoiler

She totally John Wicks an alien. Puts him down with one shot, steps up to him, re-cocks and blasts him into dust.

I hope the season brings at least one “shut up, Wesley!”

1 Like

Lots of TOS movie DNA in E1. The ship beauty shots from TMP, the font and musical cues from Wrath of Khan, Picard and Riker on bunk beds like Kirk and McCoy in Undiscovered Country. Love the end credits with all the computer interface close-ups.

Promising start. If

Spoiler

Beverly’s son turns out to be a love child with Picard

then my eyes might roll out of my ears.

1 Like

Happy Mandalorian Day to those who celebrate!

4 Likes

This is the day.

6 Likes

I sets 'em up, you knocks 'em down.

4 Likes

I don’t get home until like 10pm tonight then have to be up at 4:30am tomorrow. I’ll really want to watch it.

Watching Picard S3 E3 and then The Mandalorian S3 E1 is a major tonal shift.

Spoiler

Clearly, Disney didn’t learn the lesson of treasure hunts from TROS.

I told my wife I felt like I was playing an RPG.

1 Like

That was the least of the bullshit TROS had in its negative column.

Speaking of bullshit…

Summary

Bo-Katan is full of it. She’s still got that whole fleet.

1 Like