The Contenders 2022

No, the Anabolic Steroid Control Act did. I don’t get how people can argue that they were against the law, but perfectly acceptable in baseball.

Is a law really a law if the governing body does nothing to enforce the law or even find out if anybody is breaking the law?

But you do understand dynamics of the relationship with the players association.

Yes. Yes it is. “You didn’t catch me so I was perfectly legal” is not a legitimate position in my book.

Of course. And I understand that many players were disciplined for illegal drug use prior to 1991, and no one seems to argue that cocaine was perfectly acceptable in baseball because there wasn’t a comprehensive drug testing policy. I also understand that Vincent has tried desperately to absolve himself for failing to address the issue more seriously, after the fact.

The sum of the steroid excusers’ argument is this:

We know it was a violation of federal law

We know it was morally wrong

We know it was expressly against MLB’s written policy

But we also knew that even if caught, we wouldn’t get punished.

Therefore, it’s all good. What’s the problem?

You left out “other guys were doing it, we had to do it to keep up”.

2 Likes

Toronto beat NY 3-2 in 10 innings.

3 Likes

Magic number is 2

2 Likes

But what was in McGwire’s locker was an over the counter supplement. It was however banned in just about every other sport. Because baseball hadn’t banned it created the issue and made matters worse.

I remain unconvinced that the only thing McGwire took was an OTC supplement.

3 Likes

The old Andy Pettitte Defense: “I did it for my teammates”. Altruism in its highest form.

3 Likes

Which is terrific because 61 was the original asterisk insisted upon by Yankee fan and Yankee media.

That was some good Yankee on Yankee action.

Ew

Ew

Hadn’t even thought about the original asterisk stuff for Maris. Tonight is game 154 for the Yankees. If he doesn’t get to 61 tonight, asterisks for everyone!

2 Likes

The biggest * is that Maris and Ruth didn’t play half their games in a wiffle ball stadium.

1 Like

You’re familiar with RF in the last stadium, right?

This is where we need the “Would it Dong?” guys to tell us how many of Judge’s home HRs and non-HRs would have been out in the old park.