Sugar Land 2024

Yes, it does.

Pretty, pretty good opposite field pop for Melton, his 1st AAA HR is a grand slam

https://x.com/SLSpaceCowboys/status/1819562331296207219

Dezenzo also went yard again.

ETA: noticed he was also at 1B in the field. Any chance he gets a shot to help out on the big club before season is over?

So with the promotion of Dezenzo, I do feel a little bad for Whitcomb, but I see he’s in the lineup and again playing first base at Sugarland. He’s gotta keep pushing. Never know what tomorrow may bring.

I expect him to be a potential callup and in the OF (and backup IF) mix later this month.

Which means he’ll be called up on Friday.

2 Likes

He still has his singing skills as a fall back. Especially with the name of Luke—that’s almost a guarantee of success in country music

With Whitcomb promoted and Amaya lost on waivers, the Space Cowboys have welcomed Tommy Sacco to the squad. A former Horned Frog SS, he was drafted in the 14th round in 2022 and spent all of last year in Asheville (mostly at SS). He leads Corpus Christi this year in PA, playing about half-time at SS and half the rest at 3B – more games at either position than the next most frequently used player. He has some power (10 HR; .376 SLG) and speed (16/22 in SB and 3 triples). He is also fairly patient, with 83 K (~19%) and 52 BB (.335 OBP). He started at 2B last night in Sugar Land and went 1/3 with a RBI along with a K and a BB. He is not on the MLB Top-30 Astros Prospects list.

I have not seen him play, but based on his usage, he seems to be an intriguing prospect. I get the picture of a guy who works hard to make the most of his skills. At 25, he probably needs to take advantage of the opportunity this year and look for a breakout next year, but I would not bet against him.

2 Likes