Sugar Land 2024

Talk about the current Space Cowboys here

For example how Joey Loperfido has 4 HR out of 5 hits in 21 at bats. Oh and he also has 10K’s - Yikes!

1 Like

Justin Dirden released.

https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/1776353873994920043?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1776353873994920043|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

Wow! Last spring seems a long time ago when he almost made the team.

Verlander gave up 6 earnies and 7 hits in Sugar Land yesterday. His comments on the start:

“Obviously, not the best results, but I don’t think that’s the most important thing today,” Verlander said. “I came out of it the way I would have liked physically.”
If Verlander feels good on Monday, he’ll likely head out on a second Minor League rehab start next weekend. The expectation is Verlander would then be able to be activated and join the Astros’ rotation later this month.
“I did accomplish my No. 1 goal, which was to throw 65 pitches and feel healthy,” Verlander said. “In an ideal world, you go out there and the timing is right, and everything is where you want it to be, but it’s not super realistic. My timing was a little off, so my pitches were a little erratic. Time on the mound is the only thing that can help resolve that.”

I’m sure his Sugar Land teammates might have had a different spin on the result.

It doesn’t matter in the least, which is why they didn’t ask any of them.

ETA: Sorry, that sounded shitty. I realize now this is the Sugarland thread. It does matter.

1 Like

AJ Blubaugh called up from CC

He’s off to a blazing start in AAA. Over two starts for Sugar Land he’s thrown 11.1 innings, struck out 14, walked 3, and given up just 5 hits. The only run he’s surrendered was a solo HR. Adding his one pre-promotion appearance at AA, his 2024 ERA sits at 0.59.

He pitched well in 12 innings of AFL ball last offseason after spending most of the 2023 at High-A. His results weren’t as good last year, and he averaged about four innings per appearance (starting half the time), but this year I’d expect them to try and stretch him out more.

Still very early, but it’d be nice for a starter in the high minors to have a breakout season.

Vitals:

• 6’3” RHP
  • 7th round pick in 2022
  • Per MLB.com, sits 92-95 and gets into the upper 90s in short relief
  • 82-85 mph sweeping slider, low 80s change, high 70s curve
  • MLB ranked him 7th among Astros prospects heading into 2024, BA had him 12th
1 Like