Streaming TV Service

Thanks.

I signed up for Fubo today. No ESPN or MLB Network but pretty much everything else. I’ll hang with it through baseball season.

Good news: T-Mobile has free MLB.TV for customers again.

Bad news: blackout restrictions still apply this season

For the record, I would absolutely pay for a full season to stream Astros games without having to change my TV subscription.

I’m going to do the same this week. MLB Network is the tough loss as the morning recap show is the standard breakfast viewing in my household during the season. But, it’s not worth the thousand dollars saved a year by ditching directtv

So, Fox & Friends it is, then.

I’m interested on a report on Fubo. Let us know your thoughts on it.

It does suck that we have to parse preferred stations these days, but at least we can do so now, and save $$$s versus the all-in plus equipment rental, over a barrel wallet molestation that used to be the only option. As Bench says, a particular show isn’t worth $1,000/year.

FYI, if you like to DVR games but worry about filling up your streaming DVR allowance, check out the Channels app. It acts as a clearing house and DVR for streaming content, storing recordings on your home computer or NAS. The TV Guide service (necessary for proper DVR functionality) is $8/month. It’s great if you have multiple sources; for me it pulls in my Sling TV subscription and OTA local channels from an antenna (you need an HDHomeRun “dongle” to corral OTA TV). It works as a browsers-based app on your computer (you can remote back in to your home DVR) as well as an app for mobile devices, smart TVs and Apple TV etc.

The Channels DVR is great and, as the recordings reside on your home network, the responsiveness is instant - no spinning wheels to rewind 30 seconds. It can pause (indefinitely) and rewind live TV, neither of which the Sling TV app can do. The commercial skip function is awesome!

You will need to see if it plays nice with Astros games though. It has problems with Premier League games on NBC SN, as they change the referencing for live games to defeat pirates, and end up defeating Channels at the same time. You can download and try it for free to see if it works.

We didn’t have any problems last season with Astros games. I don’t recall any games not being on, other than when they were on Fox or something. They’re not on ESPN enough for me to have missed it, and somehow I wasn’t fussed that I didn’t see all of those Yankees and/or Red Sox games. For football Fubo is great–Premier league, German, French, Italian, lots of Mexican and Central American matches. I’m a bit more than a casual fan of football, but not a fanatic so I didn’t necessarily notice if a particular team was never on or I couldn’t see a particular match.

1 Like

Sometimes when I get writers’ block or am having trouble analyzing something I’ll take a break a read the comments on chron.com as an ego boost. Fox & Friends might have the same effect.

1 Like

ESPN is going to be added to Fubo starting Aug. 1. The only major blind spots that I can see are the Turner networks (which were there until July 1) and MLB network.

I’m guessing they had to drop one family of channels in order to add ESPN without hiking their price. If memory serves ESPN commands something like $7-8/month and TV providers have to buy all their networks or nothing.

That’s frustrating because TNT is one of like 8 channels that we actually watch.

Anyone have any success with YonderTV to avoid blackouts on mlb.tv subscriptions?

I cannot tell where you’re pointing.

5 Likes

HAHAHAHAHA!

Haven’t used that particular service but their technique is similar to Unlocator, which I used for years. Generally pretty reliable, although prone to some issues here and there.

I guess this solves my problem but holy shit do I hate AT&T.

I’m not sure if the RSN’s are available on the $55 basic package or the $80 premium package, but it still knocks a solid $80 to $90 off my current directv bill. Still no MLB network though.

The AT&T Now app on the Apple TV is horrible and the DVR is a disaster. Are they still offering only 10 hours with no option to increase? One game will be 1/3rd of that.

I hate AT&T’s marketing strategy of two year contracts and a price hike in year two. FuboTV has only 30 hours of DVR.

That’s where the Channels app comes in.

Here’s a list of what’s supported by TVEverywhere on each streaming service. If it’s on TVE, you can record it through Channels and save your precious DVR space. Also, the commercial-skip feature will be awesome for a ballgame.

Looks like it’s 20 hours for the basic package and 500 hours for the package that has Sportsnet. Which is a crazy variance.

1 Like