Spring Training

Brutal. It reminds me of Sig Mejdal’s conclusion from spending a season with minor league teams: the players need better food.

1 Like

Someone on Twitter proposed bringing gift cards Chipotle or Chick-Fil-A or other ubiquitous, quasi-healthy fast food to minor league games, and swapping the players for a ball or two. Sucks that it’s come to that, but I’m planning to do that next time I go see the Skeeters.

Whitley started the meltdown today. WTF is wrong with him?

Alamo Heights.

Absolutely.

How soon before fans are excluded from spring training given the NBA’s action last night?

Whitley seems like Appel part deux, unfortunately

I think ST will be suspended and the opening day delayed.

Agree, and that would be the right thing to do.

If suspended then the season is shortened also.

I think they play in the empty stadiums. If it is good enough for soccer in Europe, then I think it can be done here.

I do feel for all the workers though. It is not lost on me how many part-time employees for Aramark work those games for a living.

Empty stadiums are one thing, but having large numbers of people travel from city to city is a risk.

The team/personnel risk spread to each other (2nd Jazz player tested positive) and their families, and their community contacts.

Slowing the spread is the ultimate goal to try to avoid overwhelming the healthcare system that will have to care for those who become critically ill.

No toilet paper on the shelves is one thing. No available mechanical ventilators is another.

I’m glad the decision is above my pay grade.

MLS has now suspended play for 30 days.

MLB conference call going on now, expected to announce spring training cancellations today

Jeff Passan says it’s expected MLB will shut down all operations indefinitely later today.

Edit: Ken Rosenthal tweeted the same thing.

Joe Trezza
@JoeTrezz

Orioles buses left the team complex headed to Fort Myers for tonight’s game and almost immediately turned back. Players exited the busses and walked back into the facility.

We are done.

And its official.

I had read earlier this morning that the conference call wasn’t scheduled until tomorrow. Maybe they just didn’t want to be the first sports league to jump, but a smart decision either way.

Spring Training canceled and regular season delayed by at least two weeks. Chandler Rome and Jake Kaplan both tweeted.

I think that is a more rational decision than cancelling the entire season at this point.