Spring Training

1. On a 15-20 pitch limit.

Thanks!

1 Like

Gerrit Cole struggled today against Detroit.
6 ER, 6 hits, 4 of which were dingers in just 2 IP…ouch!!!

My fondest wish: Cole stays healthy but slides back into Pirates-like mediocrity.

2 Likes

Part of me hopes for this. The cynical part knows people will take this as evidence that our pitchers were cheating, too.

I thought we were done-for when they got Paxton. But I’m gloomy.

Pitchers cheating too, eh? How, pray tell?

If it means the Yankees suck balls, I’ll float that rumor myself.

No no, I meant that when they added Paxton to their rotation before last season I thought we were screwed for sure in the postseason, given his (then) recent ownership of the Astros. Nothing about cheating.

ETA: And now I see you were responding to MusicMan, not me. OK. Still getting the hang of the new system, me.

My wish is he gets clobbered every time out and Yankee fans boo him mercilessly until he cries.

4 Likes

Yeah, me too. I usually forget to copy the comment to which I am responding.

Couldn’t agree with this more.

1 Like

Oh, they’ll say we have some secret formula to put on the ball to increase spin rate, or some bullshit.

We do, his name is Strom.

Ah, the Tyler Bauer theory. Pine tar is the pitchers’ trash can.

It’s not mere pine tar, according to Bauer. Pine tar is OK. He claims the Astros have some secret formula of chemicals they apply to the ball, not simply getting a better grip. He’s full on whacko about it.

Holy shit, that is crazy. I do not read anything he says so I did not know this. Manfred opened Pandora’s Box, and I am not sure baseball will ever be the same.

MLB says they are going to crack down on pitchers this year. Manfred has issued updated memos on the rule and every team has been required to go over the rules with their players. I’m not sure what’s in and what’s out…are they still allowed to use the rosin bag? Can a pitcher wear sunscreen? It’s clear as mud.

In other news, the Angels fired their longtime visiting clubhouse manager for providing illegal baseball doctoring substances to opposing pitchers. The ridiculous outrage over the Astros has indeed opened up a can of worms that neither Manfred or the players can now control.

https://sports.yahoo.com/angels-fire-visiting-clubhouse-manager-pine-tar-opponents-mlb-043931113.html

If MLB wants to address doctoring of baseballs, maybe they should look at their own goddamn baseball manufacturer. The juiced balls have had a much larger impact than sign-stealing. Now there are reports that there are different balls again this year, while everyone tut-tuts about the Astros banging a can three years ago.