Some random thoughts

Now that the Astros have come out of the break, I was doing a little thinking as I pack up the car from a few days at the cabin/lake:

• this is a fun team to watch. They are never really out of it and the incredible pitching is keeping them in most games.

• I am not sure I’ve ever seen an Astros starting pitching corps give up so few hits. Time and again, the line for the starters 6 or 7 innings has them giving 2 or 3 or 4 hits. On top of typically low walks and high K’s. The infernal long ball is the only real blemish.

• speaking of, I still don’t particularly like the long ball approach Astros hitters continue to take. It’s a minor quibble as the team is on a 100+ win pace with this style of offense but I just prefer the excitement of small ball play. That’s what I get for growing up on 70’s and 80’s Astros baseball.

• I mentally mistook Jake Meyers for Jake Marisnick this weekend. That is a good thing.

• I love Peña’s athleticism. I suspect he’ll continue to get more refined in the field over time. I also suspect his 1 hit each game will turn into multi hit games more regularly as he matures.

• I’m glad Maldonado got some rest during the break. I’ll be watching for the results over the next week or so. And, if Castro is done, I hope the team finds a replacement pronto. Even though I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Lee so far.

There’s probably more but I’m tired of typing.

3 Likes