Smart home getting dumber

I did that with my garage a few years ago: radiant barrier stuck to the door, then foam panels stuck to the radiant barrier. Definitely made a difference in both seasons. In summer, the garage temp changes more slowly, although it will still easily hit 100F if we’ve gone somewhere and then park our hot car(s) inside. In the winter, I don’t think I’ve seen it drop below about 55F out there, even during last year’s ice storm.

On the flip side, I learned the hard way that in Vermont in winter, a second fridge in the garage is called a… freezer.

3 Likes

My garage door was 150 degrees Monday at 5PM. Since it’s not attached to the house I really don’t care but it is brutal if you have to wal in there in the evening.

My screened in porch was 110 in the shade, that’s just too hot.

Probably a testament to your insulation job, keeping the heat in.

You don’t live in Texas, do you?

2 Likes

No, for once in the last 15 - 20 years or so I live in a place where the people in charge of such things have figured out how to keep the lights on.

Until Lake Mead drops another 30’ or so.

1 Like

Well I just went through my first thunderstorm at my new place, and immediately jumped on Amazon to order a couple of UPSs. Every bolt of lightning tripped my electronics, so I had to wait a couple of minutes for everything to boot back up, and then zap!

I have four UPSes at home.

I also have a problem.

1 Like

I have been a true believer of UPSes for 20 years. By regulating the power input, I believe they prolong the life of any appliance plugged into them. The good ones compensate for any power surge as well as a drain or fluctuation when A/C’s or washing machines/dryers etc… are engaged.

1 Like

My UPSes get a workout every time we fire up our laser printer.

1 Like

I have already thought of 2 more places where I “need” one.

UPS gets a workout when Mrs. Hawk orders a bunch of shit from QVC.

1 Like

I am going to have a problem educating my lighting as, for the most part, I don’t have a neutral wire. There are a limited number of Apple HomeKit compatible brands, and most require a neutral wire for some or all of their switches. I want to have brand consistency with the switches as this looks better when they’re side-by-side, and also it limits the number of hubs I need (to one).

Lutron has some switches with don’t need a neutral wire but their fan controllers do. Aqara doesn’t need the neutral, but they don’t offer a dimmer. I didn’t look at WeMo switches as they are reportedly dogshit.

Going to see what options I have expanding the search to involve brands I can bring in using HomeBridge…

So looks like you’re gonna have to turn your lights off and on the old fashioned way. The Chuck Method.

3 Likes

As it turns out, I’m even dumber than that. I was looking for a neutral wire that was connected to the light switch, not realizing that it’s just bundled up at the back. I have that wiring, so I’m back to not having to get my are off the couch.

Assuming you don’t electrocute yourself.

1 Like

This goes without saying as it’s baked in to everything I do.

NTTAWWT.