Smart home getting dumber

I use Ookla. But I’m sure there are others that work just as well.

2 Likes

Ookla Speedtest. It’s a website and an app (for both mobile and desktop).

2 Likes

Yeah, tried that a few times. Wired I’m getting about 200 upload. Which works fine. I may give it another day or two and call AT&T.

Does AT&T have an app you can run diagnostics through? It saves having to sit on the phone while a human does the same things the AI will do in the app.

It’s one thing that Xfinity does well.

That’s good info. If you’re getting 200 up wired, but only 5 up wireless, it may be a router issue. I don’t know if you have a separate router and modem. If you do, reboot the router as well.

Probably. I’ve never used one though. Frankly, I’ve never had an issue with their gigabyte service. It’s always been great and reliable. I was thinking it was the hurricane and power issues. We’ll see

It’s AT&T so it’s one box. Could be I need a new one.

1 Like

If you are used to getting faster than 200 up on the system, you can always dial into the router and see if there is an “offending“ device saturating your upload channel. If you see that, try rebooting it. If it is persistent, check to make sure it is not poorly patched and maintained and not operating as a zombie device in DDoS attack. That will for sure saturate your upload channel.

On a side note, has anyone tried Ezfiber? They recently entered my neighborhood, even tearing up my front yard to do so, but I don’t know if anyone has tried them. They say they have 5gig plans for less than AT&T one gig.

That’s all Greek to me, but if I understand you correctly, you’re saying I may have one connected device that’s throwing a monkey in the wrench? I’ll disconnect everything and see what happens. Thanks

1 Like

It’s probably Limey’s refrigerator

3 Likes

I really miss fiber. Xfinity has increased my upload speed to 120mb/s, but the lag when I’m VPNing is noticeable. I have recently taken on more system-intensive tasks at work, and I’m getting the spinning beach ball routinely now.

I don’t notice the latency on Xfinity but their POPs are really close to the VPN POPs in both locations for me. It’s usually a good idea to buy a service provider that is physically close to your work VPN for that reason.

I’ll be piloting a VPN-less zero trust overlay over StarLink starting later this week. I’ll let y’all know how that goes.

I understood “next week”.

1 Like

When it comes to smart shit, there’s Waldo and das, then there’s the rest of us.

3 Likes

Ha.

Ask Alexa to ask WOPR what it thinks

I did and she went into some spiel from Wikipedia about Burger King.

The best one was when you could ask “who owns the New York Yankees” and she replied “since 2017 the New York Yankees have been owned by Jose Altuve.”

3 Likes

More than I did. He misjudges his audience regularly.

So I replaced my wifi extender and voila, I’m back to 300-400 on download. I guess there was a ghost in the machine.

1 Like