Smart home getting dumber

That’s weird. My Insignia Roku TVs turn on/off with the Apple remote, but I think that uses HDMI-CEC from the Apple TV and not IR from the remote.

2 Likes

I think the price of the one I have in the kitchen started with a “1” (and had no commas) and it weighs about 15 ounces. It’s really a miracle every time it turns on.

I will add…my Vizio does not support Roku. Roku insists that any TV with an HDMI input will work, it’s just a monitor at that point. But Vizio does not. I’ve never been able to figure out why.

Maybe HDMI version arcana.

Odd – our main TV is a Vizio we got in 2007, and we’ve used Rokus with it for years.

Same here, the tv I’m replacing is a ~15 year old Vizio and her Roku works just fine.

Don’t forget that Hudson’s TV runs 10 seconds ahead of linear time, so this may confuse the Roku.

4 Likes

Hudson: I have good karma with TVs
Also Hudson: this bog-standard streaming player won’t work with my bog-standard TV over a bog-standard connection

1 Like

If having one TV not work with Roku is the price I pay for 35 years of service, not to mention living in the future, I’m cool with that.

3 Likes

You just randomly reminded me of Roy Wooten, one of the most interesting musicians I’m familiar with:

https://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/03.29.01/futuremen-0113.html

I have two Vizio TVs and both support Roku.

I swear I don’t know what it is. I just get a message that says “the connected HDMI device is not supported”. Damndest thing.

In case anyone is interested, my Schlage Encore Plus smart locks will go about 10 months on a set of rechargeable batteries (and swapping them out is simple as simple can be).

In nearly two years, they have never once not worked.

What about when your disgruntled wife changes the locks? How simple is that workaround?

You’re probably SOL at that point. But, at that point, going inside may not be the best option.

It’s incompatible with your time machine

Amazon has this on sale for “Prime Day” (July 16-17) for $800.

1 Like

Anyone else having issues with AT&T fiber? I’m getting upload speeds of about 750 Mb/s but download is about 5 Mb/s. What should I check?

Relatedly: what’s the best website/method to check your internet speed?

At the risk of sounding cliché, have you turned your modem off and on again? The pipe is obviously open if you’re getting 750 upload speed.