Smart home getting dumber

Did you wire upside down?

1 Like

He wired the British way.

1 Like

That’s only for the Southern Hemisphere

1 Like

Somebody probably told him to replace to box on the first floor and he took the wrong one out.

2 Likes

I’ve been guilty of that before, but definitely not at this end. Heading into the attic today to see if I’d done something wrong originally.

The reason that sounds like an ordeal, is because it kinda is. I may be up there for a while, so I have to secure the cats like I’m going away for a couple of days. One of them got to the top of the attic ladder once, and I was able to nab him purely because he stopped to marvel at the DisneyLand he’d discovered. His life mission since has been to get back up there - and his nickname is “Magyver.”

3 Likes

It actually is. Following my project of re-ripping all my Blu Rays, I have found that some content has a bit rate too high for my WiFi network. Anything with a grainy picture - notably BSG and 4K Star Wars - will not play over WiFi.

Metric wiring in an avoirdupois world

2 Likes

If you see me writing tomes in other threads, it’s because I’m procrastinating hard about this job.

1 Like

Using my line tester, my office line gets 8 greens from the attic to the network closet, through the keystone patch panel to the end of the jumper cable. When I plug that jumper cable into the network switch…nada.

I hate this shit so fucking much.

FTR, yes, all the RJ45s in the attic were wired in reverse. I think the original sin must’ve been on the patch panel in the network closet, because I remember reversing all the RJ45s in the attic once during the initial installation.

Now most of the lines are working fine. There are a couple that are not, but that is because - in my hubris-driven-haste yesterday - I didn’t give myself enough wire to push into the connectors to make a good connection. I was trying to save wire, and I ended up wasting much more than I would’ve saved.

The office line has me completely at a loss, though.

Finally, a reason for home automation I think everyone can get behind.

7 Likes

OMG. That’s hilarious.

2 Likes

I think these are cool and very useful in certain situations - like this guy installing them himself instead of needing an electrician to install can lights.

The problem with them is that installing them this way makes them vulnerable to a light switch. Doesn’t matter how smart they are, if there is no juice because someone flipped the switch, they’re just dumb pieces of plastic.

This is pretty amazing.

This is for everyone likes me who hates emptying the grey water tank.

The water station is so smart: it doesn’t need power as it uses the juice on the robot. The robot will act as a water shuttle for a humidifier and dehumidifier, too, which is genius.

1 Like

Speaking of robot vacuums, the pattern on my new rug confuses the fuck out of “Edgar”.

Family Circus Roomba.

3 Likes

So to extend the Roomba idea outside…I finally got tired of fighting my Polaris pool cleaner and purchased this. The Beatbot Aquasense Pro pool robot. It’s running for the first time, as I type. We shall see how good it does.

1 Like

Lawn Roombas have hit the gym.

Versions of these have been running at the Dept of Energy research campus in MD for almost a decade.

1 Like

For what it’s worth:

Skip to about the halfway mark for a real-world example.

I watched that video during my research. I finished the first clean today. It went about 4.5 hours, and used about 70% of the battery. It did a pretty good job. Covered most of the floor, but only about 10 ft of the water line. It spent 2 hours on the surface. It recovered a surprising amount of very fine debris, stuff the Polaris would have never captured, and the water is sparkling clear. It’s not a substitute for regular vacuuming and brushing, nothing is, but it appears it will make a useful maintenance tool. Time will tell.