Smart home getting dumber

Nice rack!

1 Like

It’s not the destination, it’s the journey.

3 Likes

Except that the journey was up into the attic, and back down, and back up, and back down, more times that I care to remember.

I restrung a bunch of coax in my house forty years ago, and crawling around in that attic was challenging enough back then. I can’t even imagine doing it now. Thank heaven for wireless.

2 Likes

I still used coax for my digital antenna setup, otherwise I wouldn’t leave it up.

My internet comes in through the cable (Comcast), so I need one of the lines. There are half a dozen lines and at least two splitters stapled to the back of my house, though. As austro said, I’m just going to start unplugging them and see when my internet goes out.

What’s up with that extension cord zip-tied to the elbow of that conduit?

Previous owner had strung lights across the yard. They’ve been removed since the photo was taken.

Good thing there is never any lightning in Texas.

2 Likes

Aqara update:

Last night, both my Aqara camera hubs stopped responding to HomeKit. This must have been some catastrophic Apple-Aqara connection issue, rather than an equipment failure, because it was both hubs at the same time. Obviously, when the hubs fell off, they took all the attached switches and sensors with them.

The fix was to reset the hubs and then re-attach them to HomeKit. That was the easy bit. The ball-ache was that, while the hubs remembered the accessories attached to them, they lost any room/name designations so I ended up with over 20 unassigned switches and sensors in the Home app.

Through trial and error, I figured out what is what and got them correctly reassigned in HomeKit. Rebuilding the various automations was pretty easy after that, but it is not a process that I want to have to repeat on the regular.

Sounds like aqara isn’t passing muster.

Hope they get it together.

1 Like

Searching for the solution, I found that this is not an uncommon problem. A little perturbing to be sure.

It’s possible that an update to Matter could be the long-term cure. I’m not going to be an early-adopter of that option, though.

Isn’t there a way to backup the configuration for times like this?

There are (paid) apps that overlay HomeKit and offer backup capability (not currently possible natively in HomeKit). However, these apps cannot backup a complete set-up, and it may not have made any difference as the accessories were reattaching after being stripped of their identifiers.

1 Like

John Oliver on top form here.

1 Like

After I left Lubbock I went to work on a shrimp boat out of Aransas Pass to “make my stake”. A summer in the Merchant Marines working out of Morgan City, La. had proved lucrative enough to get through a whole school year, partly because there’s literally nothing to spend money on when you’re offshore. I figured to make enough to get set up and started.

Events shortened my shrimping career, and although I had made good money, my last trip didn’t pay and I was left in Houston in late 1984 without a job. Houston was full of out-of-work engineers and jobs were hard to come by. I was finally hired by a company after calling daily for weeks after my interview. My boss once told me he had to hire me to keep me from calling. He also said he was hesitant because the “Rigman aboard the M/V Clay Hollister” entry on the resume’ read as “been in prison”.

I could not get through the filters today to even get a chance.

1 Like

I did not understand why most insurers wouldn’t touch offshore catering contractors with a ten-foot pole. As I came to learn, the assumption is that the sort of cooks they can hire for those kinds of gigs honed their culinary skills in prison kitchens.

That’s too bad. The food quality offshore is usually terrific. Especially on platforms and barges. I once had a Captain turn the boat back to shore in the middle of a trip to kick the cook off because she wasn’t up to his standards. Good food is the key to morale offshore.

Exactly. And a prison kitchen - or Luby’s - are the best places I can think of to learn what you need to learn to cater to offshore crews.

I was on a platform just offshore LA once, and the 20-foot long table had a line of condiments down the middle that went end-to-end and was three or four bottles wide. Obviously there was repetition, but it was still very impressive.

Read by whom? I didn’t think there were AI filters in 1984. Most companies didn’t even have computers.