Smart home getting dumber

This is a bit confusing because 1) there aren’t many soundbars at that price point, and 2) the soundbars that do exist at that price point are all going to have at least a wireless sub, and possibly also either a center channel or some sort of surround (real or virtual).

The whole point of a soundbar is to get an easy, inexpensive upgrade over your TV speakers. Most these days come in under $200, and most/all of them have a wireless sub. $600 is a no-man’s-land that starts to approach “real” home theater territory, and is pretty much only occupied by premium brands like JBL and Klipsch.

Vizio sells a sound bar with wireless sub and two wireless rear speakers for $220 MSRP, with more EQ/tuning options than HomePods. Also, don’t forget that HomePods can only be your TV speakers if you have an Apple TV 4K.

At least for the big HomePods, it’s all still a crappy value proposition for anyone that isn’t an extreme Apple fanboy.

I think if you drop to the $200 range for a soundbar, you’re going to get sound better than the TV, but it’s questionable that it will be “good” sound.

But, agreed, the HomePod is only even an option for those of us who are balls deep in the Apple ecosystem.

The value proposition and what is “good” is also defined by what you watch on your TV. The idea of getting Joe Buck in surround sound glory isn’t really an upgrade.

2 Likes

I would pay $600 for a button that just muted Joe Buck.

1 Like

I wonder if ChatGPT could do color.

I will say that I have really enjoyed what Olsen has brought to the booth.

I am a networking God! All 5 wall plates are now pushing out gigabit speeds.

Turns out the problem was with the connections at the attic patch panel. I don’t know what novice idiot did that, but I can only assume that it was his first time. From what I saw, I surmised that he used the wrong wire stripper to cut the outer casing on the lines and inadvertently nicked some of the stranded pairs. These then broke after being punched down. I re-did the entire patch panel (and fixed the ballsed-up wall plate in the master bedroom) and hey presto!

As to running extra lines, this is a complete no-go. I tried to get to the areas of the attic where I would need to run wire, and they are completely inaccessible. Too much blown insulation, no good footholds and too little room under the roof. I guess I’ll have to live with what I have.

3 Likes

The dawning of wisdom.

4 Likes

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with

1 Like

I have all of my fixed objects connected by ethernet - only my desk requires me to run a line outside the walls - so I’m good. I love my network rack everything is so neat and professional-looking; it’s bolted to studs in the closet and the lines got straight into the wall beside it.

I figure by the time the limited number of ethernet outlets is a problem for anyone, Cat 5e will be about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

You need to post some pics!

1 Like

Congrats, glad that’s all it was.

1 Like

Got a little bit more cable management to do…

Is this how you reward yourself after a successful home improvement project? A little “cable management”?

2 Likes

Ask and ye shall receive.

5 Likes

Thanks for not posting your dongle.

1 Like

This seems like an awfully long thread for only a handful of wires.

Seriously though, congratulations on getting it done.

1 Like

Well I did give myself room for expansion, but that idea has been tabled due to me being too much of an oaf to navigate the far reaches of my attic. Need to get some kids to clamber around up there to run the extra lines.

Next job is to figure out WTF is going on with all the coax on the outside of my house.

There’s always the tried-and-true technique: unscrew it and see what stops working.

1 Like

That’s my plan.