Science & Engineering Shit

Isn’t wireless energy better known as “lightning”?

2 Likes

“Its like you don’t even know I exist.”

-The Sun

4 Likes

It’s a large fiery mass at the center of our solar system, but that’s not important right now.

1 Like

Speaking of lightning, at SWA this year, we’ve already had 23 airborne lightning strikes.
In all of 2022, we had 22 airborne lightning strikes, with one being so bad it knocked a plane out of service for nearly a month costing ~$30k/day in lost revenue.
But, no, there’s not more intense weather we’re dealing with as climate change ramps up…

1 Like

Nahhh…Nahhh…Nahhh…Ican’thearyou…Nahhh…Nahhh!!!

2 Likes

This has nothing to do with lightning, or even the sun, but I took SW to Cuba this year out of Lauderdale. Most of the passengers were Cuban. The careful SW ordering of passengers for boarding was chaos, both in Lauderdale and coming back from Havana. In Lauderdale I think I was A30, and was probably the 10th person onto the plane because nobody else would line up. Everybody got as close to the gate as possible and then mingled.

On the plane I asked the stewardess if the flight was full. She said that SW didn’t try to fill those flights because people brought so much stuff onto the plane.

There were no chickens. None that I saw anyway.

2 Likes

I know it seems like a shit-show, but our open seating for enplaning/boarding is still faster than conventional means.

That’s interesting about all the things the gate-lice/skin-bags/self-loading and unloading cargo/passengers brought, but not surprising.
I remember often flying out of Miami at my old airline and seeing folks with heaps of things all bound by saran-wrap/plastic that they were carrying. It was impressive.

Our Flight Attendants are often astonished at how folks board with overstuffed bags looking like sherpas ready to ascend Mt. Kilimanjaro when we allow people to check 2 bags for free :man_shrugging:t3:

I wasn’t complaining about it, it usually works just fine, it was just that orderly queuing didn’t seem to be a cultural imperative. It was pretty amusing how the whole thing fell apart when most of the passengers didn’t feel the need to cooperate.

And I’m not at all sure that everyone coming onto the plane hadn’t also checked 2 bags, and I don’t think that people were particularly bringing too much stuff, but everybody was bringing as much stuff as they could possibly bring. There is such a need for material stuff in Cuba, and right now it’s such a supply chain disaster, that everyone takes everything they can. I’d bet anything that there were carburetors in that baggage.

1 Like

There is a perfect method to board a plane, but people are too stupid and selfish for it ever to be usable in practice.

The weirdest boarding experience I ever had was Lloyd Aereo Boliviano to…ummm…Bolivia. I connected to LAB at Miami and killed some time in the bar. The LAB check-in area was utter chaos with all the stuff people had, so I was in no hurry to get to the gate. I decided to wander down there about an hour before my departure time, though, because I was bored. The gate area was completely deserted.

No people. No LAB personnel. Nothing. A ghost town. As I began to sink into a full blown panic about maybe getting the time zone change from Houston wrong, a stewardess came up from the jetway. “Mr. Ward?” she asked. “Yes,” I replied, fearing the worst. “You’re the last one.”

I boarded and we left an hour early. I was up front, so it was almost like having a private jet.

2 Likes

Did they argue? Because arguing is the Cuban national pastime

2 Likes

More than once I was asked to schlep motorcycle parts to Sumatra.

1 Like

After two years with a Cubana and her family, I finally couldn’t take it anymore. The less important the issue, the fiercer the fight, and there was nothing not worth fighting for.

So it’s like an internet forum?

2 Likes

How dare you say that!

2 Likes

No it isn’t.

2 Likes

My brother nearly married a Cubana that absolutely tortured him once a month for 8 or 9 days, insisting that it was her god-given Latina right to be bat-shit nonsensical insane during that time each month. And, continued unabated even after the immediate and complete menopause induced by a double ovary-ectomy. Man, she sure was pretty to look at, though.

2 Likes

I giggle every time you call us that.

I’ve never had a good loading experience flying SWA. Someone may convince me that it is fractionally faster if they produced a bunch of charts and graphs but it is never a good experience.

Best and most consistent loading efficiency was the Delta Shuttle between DCA and LaGuardia. The stuffed suits know how to queue up, move quickly and heap silent scorn on each other for the slightest transgression. If the plane fully loaded 5 or more minutes ahead of schedule, they’d give the entire plane a free drink before takeoff and then serve another during the short 45 minute “flight” (it was really just a takeoff and landing, all in one motion).

1 Like

[Insert hot vs. crazy meme here]

Not everyone has the chops to marry a Cubana. Hell, half the guys want to call the police the first time she tries to stab them.

3 Likes

Such men call themselves “alphas”

1 Like