Rangers @ Astros, May 21, 2022

My fish guy goes to Kemah every morning for whatever they have. Many of the restaurants on this side of town buy from him every day. He’s also from Maryland and makes awesome crab cakes.

And what kind of fish?

I used to shrimp out of Aransas Pass when it was the shrimp capitol of Texas. Wild caught Gulf shrimp was the only kind of Gulf shrimp and South American imports were just over the horizon. Now, Conn Brown Harbor in Aransas Pass doesn’t have a working fish house and the place is slated for lux condos. They still have the annual festival, but almost nothing is caught there anymore.

I have some mahi-mahi and I think I have some orange roughy. Both are cut in a way that will make for a decent skewer.

If you’re in Houston you can go to Kemah and get decent shrimp, but even in Kemah the fish situation is hit or miss. Of course, I’m not typically down there at five in the morning.

I knew that the seafood situation in the US would be grim, but I didn’t expect it to be as terrible as it is.

Grilled mahi is one of my favorites. Makes the best tacos.

And on a side note, I lived for a time on a sailboat in Kemah…or Seabrook, really…and while the local food was awesome, live-aboard ain’t all it’s cracked up to be.

Halfway…1-0 Astros

JV settled down and is at 83 pitches through 5.

B5:

Castro leads off with a double off the top of the LCF wall

Peña smokes a liner to LF for the first out

Siri grounds out 6-3, Castro to 3B

Castro scores on a wild pitch.

Really nice job by Castro.

Brantley walks

Yeah, dolphin in Florida, dorado in Panama, whatever you call it, it’s one of the best fish out there. It’s unbelievably versatile. I used to be able to buy it fresh, obviously, and I could buy a big one whole for less than a dollar a pound. I eventually found a crazy lady in the main market in the city that sold sort of loin strips for something stupid like $2 a pound. I might grill a big piece the first night, make some tacos the second night, and then when it’s no longer optimally fresh maybe use it in a Thai curry.

Monkfish is the other fish I have on hand right now. I feel like that might be best baked in some butter and lemon, so I’ll save that for later.

Just a monster secondary lead

Oh, yeah, you would not catch me living on a boat, no way. I would go full Operation Shutdown on any boat living plan.

Monkfish works excellent on the grill, as it doesn’t really fall apart like most white fish. But it’s good pretty much any way you cook it. An herb infused butter and white wine sauce is a fine choice.

I thought it might be fairly flaky, sort of like cod but softer. Maybe in between cod and grouper.

This seems to be a recurring theme.

No, it’s called the “poor man’s lobster” as it’s texture is much more like lobster than fish. It’s tight and meaty. Has a nice bite and holds up well. Very mild flavor though, so some other complement is a must.

Garcia misplayed that double into a triple, but look at the big man move!

1 Like