Pressly

Pressly has been great in the postseason, and he was again last night. The single best thing he did, imo, was strike out Marsh in the 8th when a fly ball would have tied the game. We all should remember, however, Schwarber and Realmuto hit rockets off him. Pressly’s save and Verlander’s win were preserved by Mancini’s and McCormick’s great plays. An assist goes to Espada who instructed Mancini to guard the line. JV made a point to highlight these two plays in his interviews, and we should remember Mancini and McCormick saved the game as much as Pressly did. Pressly was nails, as he has been the entire postseason, and his teammates stepped up when he needed them. That is what a great team does.

20 Likes

Great to see a big play by Mancini. He must be really frustrated that he hasn’t been able to do more. Looking for a big Game 6 from him.

5 Likes

I assume Yuli is ok and will play. I hope Mancini is the DH and his game-saving play will unlock whatever is keeping him from hitting like he can.

4 Likes

Espada’s recognition for Mancini to guard the line is why I hope he’s the next Astros’ manager.

And, at least for me, that play alone justifies the trade.

7 Likes

I know it’s the wrong time, but I can’t help myself. I really want to see Gurriel back next year.

4 Likes

Perfectly said Jim. I mostly lurk here, but this is exactly the kind of perspective I love to read (here or frankly anywhere). Thanks for letting me hang, particularly these playoffs.

4 Likes

Glad to have you here.

NGL. I wanted to praise RP, but was a bit afraid of the the BBGs. What an amazing post season this bullpen had. Just incredible. In my life I’ve never felt more at ease in innings 6 thru 9.

6 Likes

Pressly was outstanding all throughout the playoffs. He came in and took care of business. Getting out of the jam in game 5 was huge. Philadelphia had all the momentum going their way in the 8th. Huge gut punch to them when we escaped that inning with the lead. Pressly is nails.

2 Likes

I will likely never see a bullpen like that in my life. Absolutely over come inning 6. What an absolute joy to the heart.

5 Likes

Rewatching it right now…Neris came out after the Yordan Bomb and Vazquez RBI and completely shut them down in the 7th on 10 pitches. Total demoralizer.

6 Likes

The bullpen performance will never be topped.

1 Like

I’m sure was posted somewhere else, but this was the best collective postseason bullpen performance in 50+ years

3 Likes
3 Likes

That was so huge. And for it to be the Phils’ beloved former teammate, just a twist of the knife.

I thought I’d never see a BP 1, 2, 3 better than Lidge, Dotel and Wagner. Then, this year happened.

3 Likes

Wags has been doing much better than I had anticipated in the HOF committee voting.