Predictions, 2024

It’s an interesting year for predictions, I think. Ohtani, a lock for MVP when healthy, won’t even be in that discussion; this year’s rookie crop is decidedly less glamorous than 2023’s; the Rays…always there is the question of what to make of the Rays…the Rangers and Astros both have plenty of firepower and question marks in the rotations…both Central divisions feature intriguing dark horses and (unless you believe in the Twins) no real powers… Who freaking knows!?

AL EAST: Orioles
AL CENTRAL: Tigers
AL WEST: Astros
AL WC #1: Rangers
AL WC #2: Blue Jays
AL WC #3: Rays

AL MVP: Vlad Guerrero
AL CY: George Kirby
AL ROY: Colt Keith

NL EAST: Braves
NL CENTRAL: Cubs
NL WEST: Dodgers
NL WC #1: Phillies
NL WC #2: Padres
NL WC #3: Reds

NL MVP: Ronald Acuna
NL CY: Zack Wheeler
NL ROY: Yamomoto

An avowed Twins atheist, I am most sneakily thrilled by my Tigers prediction. 1. They ended their playoff losing streak, that’s in the bag, now it’s time for the Twins to have some starting pitcher injuries to go along with their usual backlog of position player misfortunes; 2. the Tigers have quietly accumulated rather a mass of young talent, a managerial situation A.J. Hinch has found himself in before. I see echoes of the Astros’ 2015 in Detroit. (The Astros won a wild card in '14, not the division, but I suspect that those Rangers were better than these injury-decimated Twins.) I’m also writing a ticket for Toronto to the playoffs, somewhat on inertia (every year I do this), but also because I think a couple years of age and losing will have seasoned their core beneficially.

I’m bored by my repeat-Acuna pick, and I certainly empathize with the MVP-buzz around the superlative Mookie, but Acuna’s legs and home-run power are just so flipping good.

3 Likes

Yeah, Acuña until proven otherwise.

He racks up total bases with every breath.

I’ll bite. Gonna be doing these on my podcast later tonight anyway.

ALE: Orioles
ALC: Twins
WLW: Astros
WC1: Yankees
WC2: Mariners
WC3: Rangers

NLE: Braves
NLC: Cardinals
NLW: Dodgers
WC1: Phillies
WC2: Giants
WC3: Diamonbacks

MVP: Kyle Tucker, Mookie Betts
CY: Corbin Burnes, Logan Webb
ROY: Evan Carter, Jung Hoo Lee

I think the Rays and Blue Jays are alive until the final weekend for WC and the Tigers are alive in September for the ALC.

Padres, Reds, Cubs and Brewers hang around in the NL races and if I had to pick one to make it, it’d be the Reds

2 Likes

Uh-oh! “Podcast”? By all means share. I’d love to hear a defense of your Yankees pick.

2 Likes

We did AL and NL divisions the last two weeks and do awards and postseason predictions tonight. Will be released tomorrow, usually around noon. Cohost is Chase, the guy who joined our fantasy league this year.

Apple

Spotify

1 Like

AL CENTRAL: Twins
AL WC #1: Rangers
AL WC #2: Rays
AL WC #3: Mariners

AL MVP: Yordan Alvarez
AL CY: Corbin Burnes
AL ROY: Jackson Holliday

NL WC #2: Diamondbacks
NL WC #3: Giants

NL CY: Zac Gallen
NL ROY: Jung Hoo Lee

1 Like

2024 Prediction

AL EAST: Rays
AL CENTRAL: Indians
AL WC #1: Mariners
AL WC #2: Orioles
AL WC #3: Blue Jays

AL MVP: Julio Rodriguez
AL CY: Zach Eflin
AL ROY: Jackson Holliday

NL CENTRAL: Reds
NL WC #2: Diamondbacks
NL WC #3: Cubs

NL CY: Spencer Strider
NL ROY: Paul Skenes

ALE: Orioles
ALC: Twins
ALW: Astros
WC: Rangers, Mariners, Blue Jays

MVP: Alex Bregman
Cy: Pablo Lopez
ROY: Wyatt Langford

NLE: Braves
NLC: Reds
NLW: Dodgers
WC: Phillies, Diamondbacks, Padres

MVP: Mookie Betts
Cy: Spencer Strider
ROY: Jackson Chourio

1 Like

Showing your age.

1 Like

Have you hit your head?

Nope. I think he goes crazy in his contract year.

2 Likes

I sometimes just refer to them as the Dians so I don’t mess it up

2 Likes

How about the Cleveland Guardians of Political Correctness? Or just CPC for short.

Nightingale, a USA Today sports columnist, predicted Bregman MVP

I’d love nothing more, but in a league where the field includes Trout, Rodriguez, Judge, Soto, Guerrero, Witt, and Ramirez (just to name a few that spring to mind), it seems pretty far-fetched.

For all the hype around Vladito, he has exactly one season out of five with an OPS over .818

That’s all we need in the fantasy league, more people who know what they’re doing.

1 Like

Says the guy who TWICE grabbed the guy that I had teed up for the literal next pick in the draft.

1 Like

AL CENTRAL: Twins
AL WC #1: Mariners
AL WC #2: Blue Jays
AL WC #3: Rangers

AL MVP: Yordan Alverez
AL CY: Corbin Burns
AL ROY: Evan Carter