Out for a while

Looks like the payments are gonna happen, or at least they’re saying all the right things right now.

I wouldn’t count on any kids going back to school this year. It’s just going to get worse every day for the next 2+ months.

I am getting sick and tired of the incessant notifications from MLB.com. I have a very bad attitude about Major League Baseball right now.

1 Like

one bad thing bout living in Austin… no krogers

Didn’t know where else to put this, so:

I saw someone propose that the NBA should host and televise a dunk contest to entertain the people and make up some revenue during this health crisis.

MLB should take a cue from this–I’d be willing to watch a Home Run Derby, and it seems like you could pull that off. Players wouldn’t need to be at the same location all at once if they tape it rather than air it live. Maybe add in a skills competition for pitchers. How about Trevor Bauer and Max Scherzer facing off in one of those carnival competitions where you throw a ball to try to knock over milk bottles.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s been a long, hard Void and now my wife wants me to watch Outlander and I really want some kind of baseball-related alternative to that.

Lots of WS DVDs out there to buy. You might check out 2017.

Buy Ken Burns Baseball. It is a little preoccupied with race, imo, but is excellent.

I think the Ken Burns convinced PBS to re-air the Civil War series.

Speaking of documentaries…if you didn’t know, PBS has a series called Secrets of the Dead. They did a 2-hour special a while back called Secrets of Spanish Florida. I think it’s available online from them right now. It has nothing to do with baseball, but is an interesting look at a piece of American history that many people either don’t know or overlook. For example, did you know that at the time of the American Revolution, there were not 13 British colonies in what was to become the United States, but rather 15 spread over what was to become all or parts 20 states? Only 13 declared independence. And not just this particular documentary. If you’re looking for stuff to do with the kids, researching things and teaching them things they’re unlikely to learn in school is ripe for the learning.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I didn’t know that at all.

My wife has been “homeschooling” the 5-year old and I can hear them in the other room. They spent the morning projecting constellations on the ceiling and now they’re singing every space-related song they can find. They are currently in a stretch of David Bowie tunes.

Giant steps are what we take
Walking on the moon…

I burned through those DVDs a few months back, and some of the ALCS games I still have on the DVR. The first time was to ease the fresh pain of Game 7. The second time was fact-checking some things when the trash can allegations came up. My two favorite plays from that post-season are still: (1) Bregman throwing out Greg Bird at home and (2) Marwin’s homer off of Jensen.

Burns asked PBS to stream his Baseball documentary for free and they agreed:

That’s great. I have the DVDs but unfortunately no player. I can finally watch without the MLB Network scrolling and commercials every 5 minutes.

I’m not sure what you miss about Krogers but HEB is the best grocery operator in the U.S.
Check 'em out.

more a memory thing of many years ago before my husband passed and thoughts of family shopping trips

Some sportswriters on Twitter seemed to think this would go over like a lead balloon with players.

What, you think player concentration camps just to get that sweet TV money flowing wouldn’t sit well with them?

Given the choice of a 5-star “concentration camp” or zero income, the players may be more flexible than you think.

1 Like

I am done with baseball for this year. Started with Game Seven. Y’all tell me how it comes out.