Other Sports

Which code does Major League Rugby use? Union or League?

Union. The Sabrecats’ stadium is down towards Pearland and a pretty cheap, fun day out.

It’s pretty confusing calling the professional Rugby Union competition Major League Rugby, but I reckon that’s the only way to get Americans to understand it’s a professional competition (as in, MLS).

1 Like

If they’d just settle on one rugby, this could be avoided. It’s like that whole “football” fiasco in the rest of the world. No wonder they’re confused.

Yep. In Oz they use “gridiron” to avoid the “football” confusion.

You want to talk to the CFL & NFL?

1 Like

Is that Aussie Rules Football or “futbol” football?

I think in Australia they refer to association football as “soccer”, and American football as “gridiron” and Aussie Rules football as “football”. So they’re not confused.

I thought they called it all “Bruce” to keep it all clear.

First and foremost, let me be clear that I’m not a mungo, what the Aussies call League supporters and players. I’m proudly a part of the (tweed) Blazer Brigade, the (sometimes) affectionate term for Rugby Union supporters and players.

In Australia, yes, American Football is known as gridiron, while Aussie Rules is known as footy. Confusingly, on the East Coast where Rugby Union and Rugby League are more popular than Aussie Rules (aka aerial ping pong), footy can refer to both sports.

But, enough mansplaining.

There’s a certain pleasure asking Poms which football they’re referring to…

Association Football?
Rugby Union Football?
Rugby League Football?
American Football?
Canadian Football?
Australian Rules Football?
Gaelic Football?

There’s another certain pleasure reminding the poms they called it soccer up until the 1970’s.

Exactly – They have it even worse than we do.

Hopefully, next season, FIA will hire a race director who’s actually seen an F1 race before.

1 Like

Agreed. Not sure what they were doing during the delay.

1 Like

Brooks Koepka reportedly is getting $150 million to switch to the LIV tour. I like golf and I like watching the majors on TV. I will never watch a second of the LIV tour, though, and I’m marginally irritated that they are being allowed to compete in the Open, as the were in the US Open.

The defections are taking a toll on the PGA, it seems.

The PGA is discovering that quantity has a quality all it’s own, especially when it comes to money.

1 Like

Everyone has a price

Are the LIV tournaments televised?

Now they have some names signed up, I’m sure they’re setting up broadcast deals.

On a totally non-golf note, some folks that I’m friends with decided in 2020 to try and get a startup league for Floorball going here in the states as a way to expose more people to high-level floorball.

It took two years, but the NAFL (North American Floorball League) has its inaugural games this weekend. Unfortunately, they’re all pay-to-stream/watch, but if you’re interested in info or want to check it out, here’s the link: https://nafloorball.com/

The league is a combination of the best North American players and many high-end international transfers, so the play level will be very high.

1 Like

Even in the club level Mark plays in, the sophistication of the play and the teamwork is impressive to me. I never expected the expertise I saw when I attended my first game.

1 Like