New GM search

Agreed. I think Crane has made exactly the right choices with Baker and Click.

Great moves in Dusty and Click. Couldnā€™t be happier. Now we just need a couple of pitchers.

Click seems like an intelligent affable fellow. Seeing his picture for the first time, he would have fit in well with Gattis and McCann.

Click will be better liked, and his record with the Rays suggests he may have Luhnow-esque GM ability. I am more than pleased with this hire.

I am still so fucking pissed: at the players for being arrogant and stupid and at Hinch for not stopping it cold. Luhnow had to know, and I am furious at him also. A clubhouse meeting with stern, direct instructions would have prevented this debacle. I realize they knew NYY and Boston were doing this too and did not want to be left behind, but that is no answer for me after the Commissioner promised to bring fire and brimstone down on teams which defied his edict.

Click said today that one of his jobs in the 2019 postseason was to tour each ballpark with MLB officials identifying cameras and devices, which is why he was confident that there was ā€œnothing going onā€ at MMPUS.

Hereā€™s a really logical article about the Astros hiring Click. People are stupid.

1 Like

I think four WS losses at home confirmed it.

Yes. People are really, really stupid.

Itā€™s a no-win situation.

The Astros could have run with an internal candidate like Pete Putila, but then would have been criticized for failing to clean house and putting people in charge who were complicit in the scandal.

The Astros could have gone outside baseball circles to find a GM, but would have been criticizedā€“as they have been for nearly the last decadeā€“for taking a ā€œnon-traditionalā€ approach to building the front-office, and it would have been a whole big thing anytime the GM made even slightly unorthodox moves.

And if, at the end of the day, the Rays GM didnā€™t want to lose his VP of baseball ops, he could have declined to give permission to the Astros to interview him. I shed no tears for the Rays.

Unkind? What a dumbass.

I guess Click shouldnā€™t want a promotion. How unkind.

I just read that drivel. Easily one of the most uninformed opinions about business Iā€™ve seen in recent history. To quote the great Neil Pravata, ā€œthatā€™s paramecium-level thinking right thereā€.

The Astros are in a bunch of no win situations.
IF:
The players apologized right after the report ā€“ they donā€™t mean it and are just trying to move on
The players wait till spring training when they are all together to do it ā€“ they are being forced and it is a PR move.
Hire a GM internally ā€“ not serious about culture change
Hire a good candidate from outside ā€“ their cheating is still hurting other teams.

Thanks I needed a good laugh.

Unkind? Why is it the Astros job to be kind? What a dumbass