New forum features and wayfinding

Relax Jim, I never said it was lost. The database is intact and I have backups. There’s just something wrong with the web interface.

I have copies of the stuff I wrote, which is no big deal to anyone, but some of the writing on this site-especially those Strosrays/Dark Star (sp?) contributed-were outstanding. I am sorry the excellent writing for the front page stopped being solicited.

From the category view, is there some way to see if there are new posts?

Thanks for the remake, Waldo! I kept meaning to ask you about the whole HTTPS thing. If you ever want to reduce the “bus factor”, feel free to reach out, I’m happy to help out. I’m more of a virtualization guy but I know LAMP well enough.

At least on my screen, the number of new/unread posts is off to the right.

Thanks, Waldo and everyone involved, for setting this up.

This Astros community that I’ve been following and posting on for almost 20 years now is a special place, and I’m grateful for all those behind the scenes/webpages that make it happen.

@Waldo Question: are lurkers able to read these forums without registering? Or, is the community closed until one registers?

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder to change that. Forums are now readable without logging in.

How do you quote a post in order to reply to it?

After you click Reply, click the Quote icon on the far left side of the toolbar in the editor.

You can also highlight any part of a post and a quote button pops up.

Got it. Thanks Waldo.

Sweet. I’m a firm believer that quoting what you’re responding to makes the thread easier to follow.

3 Likes

Me too!

1 Like

It’s been said repeatedly, but it bears repeating repeatedly, Waldo et al. are magnificent bastards for navigating the treacherous shoals of technology to keep this wonderful community of crazy denizens united in love of all things Astro. This old motherfucker tips my cap to you. Thank you!!!

The transition has been much smoother than I expected–nice work!

The badges for reaching “milestones” are a fun touch.

But beware the emoji badge.

Unless you’re Vince Coleman.

It’s a tarp!