Music 2023

So I flipped on the Eras Tour last night. Thought I’d watch a little to see what all the fuss was about and then move on. Watched the whole damn thing.

A performing artist at the peak of their game.

2 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. My wife and I did the same thing, for the same reason but turned it off after 10 minutes. The whole thing just seemed so… contrived and the sound was poor.

1 Like

I’d rather go watch The Last Waltz, or Stop Making Sense, or any number of other acts

1 Like

Reading up on him and that album, it’s amusing to me that they all make a point to say that the song “Texas” was played heavily on radio in…Texas

Weirdly there’s a band from Glasgow called “Texas” and no one here has ever heard of them.

1 Like

I saw them play at a club on Sauchiehall Street in 1998, and at no point was there any apparent relationship with the state, other than the name. Good band, though.

1 Like

“we gotta get out of here”

I don’t recall their music but seem to remember they got some MTV airplay and mentions in music magazines, although I’m sure it was just the novelty of the name.
Wiki says they’ve sold 40 million albums! Didn’t expect that.

I posted this as part of the Scottish bands discussion, but it’s a bit of a banger so worth a reprise.

Here’s a different track from Texas. Big Alannah Myles “Black Velvet” vibes with this one.

One of my favorite emails I get is Chartr.

Today’s chart was about the vinyl revival compaired to CDs. Of course streaming is still king (84% of music revenues). I thought those who listen on vinyl might find this chart interesting:

Here are the words to go along with the chart

The HDCP on SACD gutted disc sales.

“I understand that jamming a neighbour’s speaker might be illegal, but on the other hand listening to reggaeton every day at 9 AM should definitely be illegal,”

Introducing - Reggaeton Be Gone - homemade AI speaker jamming device.

1 Like

“Songs That Take a Bizarre Turn” for $100 please Alex.

And, yes, that is “the weird one” from Bananarama.

Separated at birth:

1 Like

I’m getting a work-based award next week. In a first for me, the event organizers have asked me for a walk-up song as I go onstage to give some remarks. Ha. Knowing what y’all know about me, what suggestions do you have? I have no idea whatsoever…

3 Likes

SRV, Texas Flood

3 Likes

It’s Raining Men?

Seriously:

Cloudbusting - Kate Bush
I’m Only Happy When It Rains - Garbage
Here Comes the Rain Again - Eurythmics
Riders on the Storm - Doors
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
Grey Day - Madness
Stormy Weather - Billie Holliday
Gimme Shelter - The Rolling Stones
Have You Ever Seen The Rain? - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Umbrella - Rihanna
No Rain - Blind Melon
Steal My Sunshine - Len
Purple Rain - Prince

(congrats, btw!)

3 Likes

Is “Have You Ever Seen the Rain” too on the nose?

1 Like