Music, 2022

Yep, bought my tickets as well for the lawn at Moody. Perhaps we’ll see you there!

We’re going to see Dylan in Sugarland this coming Friday. It’ll be our first concert since, well, the last time His Bobness was here in 2018. We don’t go to many shows anymore tbh, regardless of Covid. Not sure who we’d see other than Dylan anymore, maybe Yes (who we saw in 2017), maybe Bruce. Not that there aren’t any great bands putting on great shows anymore, but, you know, the traffic, the distance to the venue, the crowds…I wish there was a smaller venue closer to Katy that had shows.

1 Like

I’ll buy all yall a beer if you’re interested. Let’s talk later.

1 Like

Definitely!
I’m coming out from SoCal and staying with some of my old Austin friends who are going to the show as well. Should be a blast as we have a good group going even if some of them are arlington mouth-breather/stRanger backers, bless their hearts.

At least they have great taste in music.

2 Likes

This is awesome.

And now I’m not such a fan of the Pet Shop Boys.

1 Like

That’s a pretty good doc.

I came across the oddest click-bait, Dolly Parton declining consideration by the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame:

“Dolly here! Even though I am extremely flattered and grateful to be nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I don’t feel that I have earned that right. I really do not want votes to be split because of me, so I must respectfully bow out.

*“I do hope that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will understand and be willing to consider me again – if I’m ever worthy. This has, however, inspired me to put out a hopefully great rock ‘n’ roll album at some point in the future, which I have always wanted to do. My husband is a total rock ‘n’ roll freak, and has always encouraged me to do one. I wish all of the nominees good luck and thank you again for the compliment. Rock on."

I would so buy that album.

4 Likes

Only because chuck forced me to post, I recommend the new Black Country, New Road album and of course Spoon.
Looks like I need to check out moondog!

ETA: chuck there’s a sax player in Black Country, New Road

3 Likes

I didn’t know whether to post this in travel, or music, but we’re going to the Connecticut this weekend. I always put together a playlist of music from where I’m going, and the Connecticut playlist includes nothing really remarkable, except (1) Charles Ives, for whom I have long had a peculiar fondness, and (2) The Carpenters, who had to be the most popular musical act among high school girls when I was a senior in high school.

I’ve decided that the Carpenters are responsible for all that’s wrong in America, and that if those girls had listened to Joni Mitchell instead we’d be better people today.

There are some isolated vocal tracks available for Karen Carpenter, and they give you chills. What an amazing voice!

“Waaaa-waaaa-waaaaa, close to you . . .”

That certainly gives me something.

Not quite vocal-only (despite what the title says) but the backing track is minimal.

Charles Ives is an eternally solid choice. If I were asked to recommend additions to a Connecticut playlist I would submit

I played this record for a woman with whom I was then involved, a Connecticut native, attended Yale, and after the first song, New Haven, ended, she reflected for a moment and said, They really should put bars on that window.

1 Like

I went and saw Saint Paul and the Broken Bones last night at Stubbs and man, they put on a crazy good show.

Their lead singer is just ridiculous, but that whole band is just all-star quality.

3 Likes

I want to see them live because I bet they do put on a show.
However, I have stopped listening to their new stuff as much. The first album was great. The last two albums I didn’t find as enjoyable to listen to.

Anyone been to the Moody Amphitheater? Anything I need to know?

The Black Keys have a new album, Dropout Boogie.

I like it.

There’s a track featuring Billy Gibbons. His sound is unmistakable.

1 Like

Listened today to Troika by D’Virgilio, Morse & Jennings. From Wiki:

Troika is a collaborative album by progressive rock/metal musicians Nick D’Virgilio (Big Big Train, ex-Spock’s Beard), Neal Morse (The Neal Morse Band, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, ex-Spock’s Beard) and Ross Jennings (Haken, Novena)

With the pedigree of those members, it’s a surprisingly CSN type album, very tuneful, great harmonies. Recommended.

I know it’s a 2021 album, but Lord Huron has released an expanded edition of their Long Lost album and it’s great. Only like 2 new songs but the album is fantastic if you haven’t heard it yet. I feel this crowd would really appreciate it.

The new Lyle Lovett album “12th of June” is a good one too.

1 Like