Music 2020

I am finding it hard to not keep playing the new album by Woods, Strange to Explain. Wishing I had a gin and tonic, settling for a Bucket Head IPA. But man, that’s a great sounding record. Several good songs. My favorite track for now I think is, Be There Still. I’m not familiar with the band but now I’m motivated to check out their back catalogue.

Eddie Van Halen passed away today at age 65. He had throat cancer.

1 Like

Sad to hear that.

Saw an interview with him where he talked about his and his brother’s upbringing. Very talented family, multiple generations.

EVH Solo

2 Likes

The “Beat It” story: https://www.feelguide.com/2017/01/26/the-incredible-story-behind-eddie-van-halens-guitar-solo-on-michael-jacksons-beat-it/

Someone chopping onions in here?

1 Like

Johnny Nash just died, too.

Fuck this fucking year. He was a great Houstonian.

RIP, Johnny. May the angels “rub up on your belly like guava jelly”.

And he gave use this classic
;

2 Likes

Since ACL Fest was canceled this year, it looks like they’re broadcasting a “greatest hits” sort of thing on Youtube this weekend instead.

Based on the times posted, there’s no way it’s full sets. But spending an hour on Sunday night to watch Gary Clark Jr. and Paul McCartney back-to-back? I’ll do that. Might watch Willie Nelson on Friday night too.

It ain’t live music, but I’ll take what’s being offered. Schedule of performers here.

I would add Spoon and Nathaniel Rateliff to the must-see list there.

WWOZ did a similar thing for jazz fest this year. It was fantastic listening.

Now Ginger Baker?

Now what?

His ghost did something?

1 Like

Yeah, apparently scared me back in time a year. Never mind.

2 Likes

If anyone was capable of that it would be him.

1 Like

Oh, wow, NPR has Don Bryant on its Tiny Desk Concert series. Pop in your headphones, close your eyes and soak this in:

The set is “Your Love is to Blame”, “Is It Over” and “Your Love is Too Late”. OMG, Is It Over is so smooth. Can’t believe he’s 80 years old and sounds like that still.

This is the time of year when all the 10 best or 20 best or 50 best lists come out, and while I’m convinced that they’re compiled to make me feel stupid and out of touch, there were a couple of albums I’ve listened to that are worth mentioning.

Bob Dylan, Rough & Rowdy Ways. This is really good, which surprised me. I don’t expect an 88-year old to be so vital.

Fiona Apple, Fetch the Bolt Cutters. I had this thing for Apple a few years back, and then I went to see her. She’d been busted the night before crossing the Texas border at El Paso in her tour bus, and she was really unhappy. Her sets came off angry and brutal, and I realized that her music is angry and brutal. She also looked frightening, like an eating disorder come to roost on too much speed and too little sleep. That said, Fetch the Bolt Cutters is a good Fiona Apple album, as all Fiona Apple records are. That said, notwithstanding its fine work, it’s angry and unhappy. Of course that fits my personality to a T.

1 Like

I really appreciate your description of Fiona Apple. I can’t get into that album quite yet, however.