MLB Best Tools 2021

Survey from Baseball America polling managers, executives and scouts for the top 3 in each category…

• Best AL Hitter: Brantley #2
  • Best AL Strike Zone Judgment: Brantley #1
  • Best AL Control: Greinke #2
  • Best AL Defensive 1B: Gurriel #2 (behind Olson)
  • Best AL Defensive 2B: Altuve #2 (behind Semien)
  • Best AL Infield Arm: Correa #2 (behind Chapman)
  • Best AL Manager: Baker #2 (behind Melvin)

Correa not on the AL Best Defensive SS list as JP Crawford, Isiah Kiner-Falefa and Andrelton Simmons were ranked 1-3 respectively.

Maldonado not on the AL Best Defensive Catcher list as Christian Vazquez, Roberto Perez and Salvador Perez were ranked 1-3 respectively.

Thank you for invalidating your study, Baseball America.

1 Like

I have to admit that I don’t watch many Rangers games, but I watch some, and it seems extremely unlikely to me that Isiah Kiner-Falefa is a better defensive SS than Correa.

Again it’s simply a survey and not some study or analysis that BA performed.

If you look at something more objective like Defensive Runs Saved, Kiner-Falefa (and Crawford and Simmons) are more than credible choices by the managers/executives/scouts. But yeah Correa seems a glaring omission by those folks.

Current DRS leaderboard…

Raises credibility questions about the whole list.

5 Likes

Destroys credibility.

I’ve had Kiner-Falafel on my fantasy team this season. His fantasy defense has been outstanding.

1 Like

One national baseball writer certainly doesn’t disagree regards Dusty and end of season hardware…

Hidden

Rookie of the Year: Ryan Mountcastle (Baltimore) and Randy Arozarena (Tampa Bay) are the leading candidates in the AL, although Adolis Garcia has 27 homers for Texas. Luis Garcia strengthened Houston’s rotation.

Manager of the Year: Dusty Baker was NL Manager of the Year in 1993, 1997, and 2000. He deserves being AL Manager of the Year after holding the Astros together.

Not clicking on it, but Is it the Curly Headed Girlfriend?

No, not Carl Everett’s favorite Boston Globe writer.

Peter Abraham.

1 Like