MLB audio/app question

I’m trying to use my At Bat subscription for audio on an iPad my kids use – since it’s the kids device, we have “Only Approved Websites” turned on under Screen Time >> Web Content.

The audio works fine when content restrictions are off, but when I turn them on, i get a generic “Audio Error” message.

Anyone know what domain(s) I need to allow for the live audio to work? I’ve tried adding MLB.com, MLB.TV, and Audacy.com, but no luck.

(MLB’s live support chat couldn’t answer this question.)

Can you launch it from something like Chrome on an ordinary computer? If so, you ought to be able to use developer tools to see where it’s going.

I’m sure I can do the former… As for the latter – how would I go about doing that?

Here’s the procedure for Chrome:

1. Navigate to the page you care about.
  2. Now go to the three vertical dots in the upper right of the browser window.
  3. Click on that and it will bring up a menu. Scroll down to “More tools” and go to that submenu.
  4. Select “Developer tools” from that submenu.
  5. That will pop up an intimidating screen with all kinds of stuff on it. It’s likely that the “Network” tab is selected, but if it isn’t, select it.
  6. Now go back to your original page and refresh or click the link that starts the audio or whatever.
  7. This will result in a bunch of traffic in the network window, representing requests that your browser is making to various servers.
  8. You can click on a specific row to see more detailed info about that request, including the domain in the request URL.

It’s possible (indeed, likely) that there will be a shitload of subrequests, so you’ll probably have to probe through a bunch of them, but eventually it should be fairly obvious which domain is providing the actual audio stream.

1 Like

That worked! Thank you, @austro!

On the off chance any one else is in this same situation, the domains I authorized were:
–mlb.com
–mlbtv.com
–mlbstatic.com
–mlbinfra.com
–audacy.com
–google.com
–conviva.com
–browser-intake-us5-datadoghq.com

(They might not all be needed, but together, it worked. I still get the error – but when I hit “play”, it works.)

1 Like

Excellent! I’m glad you were able to get it figured out.

1 Like