Merry Christmas 2023

You want a picture?

This is a thanksgiving staple at our house

I read that as 5-8 green beans, wrapped together with 12 strips of bacon. I was thinking that was a pretty good ratio.

2 Likes

What is that on the bottom right? Tapioca mush?

Mashed blue cheese and roasted garlic potatoes/turnips.

1 Like

Well, this was a mighty shitty Christmas for me. My neighbor friend, Paul Jr, who looks after my cat when I travel shot himself dead Christmas evening. I walked outside around 1pm and saw half a dozen county sheriff deputies and their cars all lit up. Ellie my dog ran out front over to where my neighbors were standing out by the street in front of the house. One of his daughters started to bring Ellie back to me and I could tell she was very distraught. She told me her dad was in the backyard inside his fenced in garden with a gun.

I walked the dog back in the house and then went into my backyard and saw deputies with their rifles drawn in my next door neighbor Paul Srā€™s back yard and two or three more deputies on either side of Paul Jrā€™s house. I yelled over at him from my fence (he lives two houses down from me, at the end of the block) I asked him to stop, put it down to think about the people who love him but he ignored me, didnā€™t even look over at me. I asked the Sargent if I could go over and talk to him but they wouldnā€™t let. Instead they ask if his family could come inside my house while they have their ā€œexpertā€ talk him down,

I had his wife, three daughters, one of the daughterā€™s girlfriend/partner, his stepmom and father all at my house all afternoon. They had the SWAT team come out and a ā€œnegotiatorā€ and some portable spotlights. The street in front of my house was the staging area and they had lights set up in my backyard.

I fed everybody while we waited. Around 7pm one of the sheriffā€™s detectives came and told us he shot himself and didnā€™t survive. The family is staying in my next door neighbors house tonight. My next door neighbor is the dad and grand dad. He had tried to help his son by buying that property and letting him live there. The guy was just too bipolar, depressed, and had some other undiagnosed physiological or neurological issue.

2 Likes

What an awful thing for all of you and his family and him to go through. Iā€™m so sorry.

So sorry.

Bless you for doing your part, both for him and his family.

1 Like

My god. My prayers go out for everyone involved, including you.

It sounds like you did everything you could, and more. Iā€™m sorry for his family.

Iā€™m so sorry, man, thatā€™s terrible.

This is so, so sad. I am so sorry.

Iā€™m so sorry for all involved, particularly the kids. You are a good neighbor and a good friend. Peace to all.

Iā€™m so sorry, Sphinx. That is is horrible and I canā€™t imagine what the family is going through right now.

Iā€™m very sorry, Marty. Take care, man.

Good grief, Marty. Sad for his family and for you. You are a good man.

Thanks all for the comforting comments. Iā€™m still kind of stunned, but life goes on.

4 Likes

I canā€™t even imagine. To the extent you can, Iā€™d just try to keep in mind that there are several people who will always be grateful for what you did for them during the worst day of their lives.

Just an awful situation all around. So sorry for you and all involved.