Marlins at Astros, July 11, 2024

In 1967, my family moved from San Benito in the Rio Grande Valley to San Antonio, so there were countless house-hunting excursions between those cities over several months…not a short trip. The Astros were always on if they were playing. If not, it was Brown Eyed Girl, which played at least 4 times an hour on Top 40 AM radio back then. Over the years, I’m sure that BEG was probably the song that I have heard more than any other in my life, between radio and cover bands that played it at bars I was working at. Never needed to buy that 45. After we moved in to our house, we had to develop a lawn of some sort, so we had several truckloads of dirt delivered which needed to be spread, much to my glee. During these times, I had a small Hitachi transistor radio that I would dangle from our newly planted sapling with the Astros game blaring at 10 setting so we could listen as we shoveled. For the next year are so, I didn’t have many friends in our sparsely populated neighborhood.
The Astros on radio, and baseball cards, kept my 11 year old self entertained for that time.

6 Likes

Bottom 6:
Cabbage F8
Salazar F6
Altuve F7

Still 6-3 Astros

Abreu-Pressly-Hader set up, so that’s good.

Abreu got the leadoff hitter, and that’s weird. But he made up for it by giving up a single after that.

1 Like

During the Blue Jays series Singleton was “Springer” about half the time, which at least makes more sense scamperingwise.

Loperfido is lucky I’m not the official scorer, because I would call that an error.

Top 7:
Abreu in to pitch.
K swingin’
Single
K swingin’
Double, 2nd and 3rd.
K swingin’

After 6.5, 6-3 Astros

Ford seemed to think it should have been.

In a just world, it would be. An average MLB OF should make that play.

Bottom 7:
Bregman F8
Diaz F8
Singleton K

Still 6-3 Astros

Baseball is the perfect game for radio. Its pace is languid enough to get all of the necessary information in, or it used to be languid enough, anyway. There are plenty of moving pieces, but a good broadcaster can convey absolutely everything you need to know as the game unfolds and saying hello to Elizabeth in Temple.

3 Likes

And it has a predictable, consistent rhythm. It’s the perfect background accompaniment while you’re working on something else.

4 Likes

Top 8:
Pressley in.
GO 6-3
Single
K
GO 6-3

After 7.5, 6-3 Astros

Wow, Chas. That was brutal.

Cabbage is going to get sent down instead of Chas if and when Tucker ever comes back, and I’m going to be pissed.

3 Likes

Bottom 8:
Pena F9
Chas PH for Loperfido K
Meyers GO 6-3.

To the 9th, still 6-3 Astros

Tucker probably won’t be back before rosters are expanded. Problem solved.

1 Like

I don’t know what is going on with Chas but he is better than this and needs to snap out of the season long funk he’s been in.

Working on something else like your second bottle of Turley?

When I’m watching baseball and want to listen to Van Morrison I always go behind the stadeeyum.

Hader with a WHIP of 1.05 and an ERA of 4.05. I guess that’s what happens when a bunch of those H’s leave the yard.

1 Like

Top 9:
Hader in.
K swingin’
GO 1-3
K swingin’

That’s a winner!

1 Like