JV the Met

The crowd of 28,296 booed the Mets as they walked off the field. These weren’t low grumbles, either. These were the guttural sounds of a frustrated fan base that was promised so much more than a fourth place, 20-23 start to the season. The Mets, boasting the largest payroll this sport has ever seen, are trending toward an unwatchable mess.

And apparently no one, not even a future Hall of Famer and reigning American League Cy Young winner like Verlander, can escape whatever curse is plaguing the club right now. New York’s shiny offseason signing was charged with six earned runs on eight hits across five innings and 96 pitches by the time his outing was over

2 Likes

Ain’t it a pity?

2 Likes

You hate to see it.

2 Likes

I wish he’d retired an Astro. But I just can’t muster any emotion either way about his performance there.

6 Likes

I just enjoyed seeing that they’d lost 10 of 14.

1 Like

I’m not gloating about Verlander, but I sure am about the Mets.

6 Likes

I hope he loses every fucking game. But that’s not a JV hate, it’s a Mets hate.

5 Likes

I honestly didn’t know what their record was. I hate the steM. I hope they lose every game. JV should have took Houston’s offer to stay with his team instead of being greedy.

Thoughts and prayers. I am sure his 86 will bring him comfort.

1 Like

You don’t always get what you think you’re paying for.

1 Like

He does have the star of the Three Stooges movie to comfort him in his travails.

Oh, I do not hate JV, and I will be forever grateful he accepted the trade to Houston, and I am thankful for all he accomplished as an Astro. It was not all one-sided, though; the Houston organization did a lot for him.

At the same time, except my hope for his good health, I do not wish him well in NY. If most or a lot of his outings are like the most recent one, I will shed no tears for his W-L record or for his ERA.

5 Likes

I don’t really wish him ill despite my comment. It would be great to win another one without him
I’m not sure we currently have the pitching for that though.
One of my neighbors here in Georgetown is a NYer and he claims it was expected JV to eventually end up with the Mets because JV and one of the teams’ owners are very tight. My neighbor was in a position in NY where he would hear a lot of inside shit. He was a bartender at a sports bar in Manhatten.

The Mets’ owner has the same approach as do the Clippers and Suns’ owners, which buys the services of the top free agent because they can afford it. The margin for error is reduced when the player in question is 35 to 40 years old. Verlander’s performance won’t change their behavior, but we can hope

It was bw Hou and Nyy prior to last season yet he chose Hou (reportedly bc we gave him a 2nd year and Nyy would not).

I’ll never get over the Astros losing to the hated steM in the ‘86 NLCS, so fuck ‘em.

Also, I’m ever grateful for JV’s contributions while an Astro, but he’s dead to me now (much like Springer), and I hope JV’s season is one big popcorn fart.

2 Likes

1986 was my nadir as a fan. Lost to a team of past, current, and future felons

2 Likes

It’s Steve Cohen, the majority owner. Verlander was asking him for hedge fund investing advice years ago.

1 Like

I jumped out of my chair when the Astros got Verlander in 2017. He was a big part in getting the team on that title run.

And I still like his personality and style. Yes, I wish he had stayed an Astro, but I wanted to keep Springer and we lost him too.

And I look at the guys we have, and can’t complain.

Good luck JV, hope you like having the off-season off on a regular basis …

1 Like