Interesting Legal Case

This has nothing to do with Trump or science fiction movies, but…I found this interesting. A man was convicted of murder by the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and sentenced to 19 years in prison. He was pardoned by the governor, but then was re-tried by the federal government, convicted, and sentenced to 42 years. The pardon appeared to be a political favor for sure, but how’s that for justice…he essentially traded a 19-year sentence with parole for a 42-year one, without parole. Guess he didn’t really think that one all the way through.

Pardoned Kentucky killer sentenced to 42 years in prison (yahoo.com)

1 Like

Can you not accept a pardon? It seems like this was as much about what Bevin did as what he and his family may have asked for.

I think you can decline a pardon. I thought you had to actually seek one in the first place, but there much was chatter about some of Trump’s toadies declining one, should they be pre-emptively granted one. So I’m not sure. I’m guessing our resident lawyerin’ types can say for sure. Either way…out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I’m certain it was asked for and gladly accepted. It was rhetorical question in light of the “not thinking it through” comment. Either way, I think justice was served and a warning delivered.

Meanwhile Big Pharma is still getting away with murder every day.

I don’t think you have to seek one. Didn’t Trump piss on Susan B. Anthony’s grave by granting her a posthumous pardon against her living wishes?

I thought he preferred to be on the receiving end of that activity.

1 Like

True. But doing things to women against their wishes is very much on brand.

2 Likes

Yes, you can decline. The flip side is that accepting a pardon has been deemed by SCOTUS to be equivalent to a confession. So, by accepting the state pardon, he turned the federal case into a slam dunk.

While this is often said, I don’t think this is actually true. The SCOTUS did rule that one must accept a pardon for it have any legal effect (and thereby suggesting that one could reject one), and that accepting it can imply guilt, the pardon does not carry any legal implication or consequence as to guilt.

Again…unleash the lawyers…

1 Like

Who’s paying? (Bags not me).