I have never in my life played ice hockey and don’t intend to ever attempt. Skating has been the furthest thing from my mind for most of my life. But I think it’s something I would have really enjoyed playing had I grown up around it and started young.
It’s super fun. Down side is, as I age and get more creaky, it has a (massively) compounding negative effect on my skating. Way more than the running assocaited with something like soccer or basketball, the finesse required to skate fast and well is really degraded as you age. All the main muscle groups are in play, of course, but so it all the minor groups that make up flexibility, stability, torsion, etc… For me, anyways.
Possibly the blizzard of '96? That was my first winter in DC and I vividly remember the snow banks at Dulles when my flight landed. For a kid from the Sonoran Desert, it was nucking futs.
I don’t remember 96 but in 93, I lived in the Birmingham area and we had 9+ inches. It was my first time with Thunder Snow. We were without power for 6 days and 18 hours (I know the approximate time when it came back on thanks to an answering machine)
Saw a funny meme this weekend - “In nine months you can be enjoying college football or changing diapers. Choose wisely in the winter storm of 2026”
‘96 was a beast. One of only 3 winter storms to reach a 5 on the NESIS scale. The other two were the superstorm of ‘93 and the Jan 2016 blizzard. A little secret, the 2016 storm will be upgraded to a 5 in the next few months as the academic reanalysis completes.
Here’s the NESIS scale methodology and history.
My fascination with big east coast winter storms is what inspired me to become a meteorologist.
Finished with 18.1” here in VT. The last light snow showers are ending now. 11.8” at my place in Clarksburg, MD, 18 miles NW of DC. Here’s what 18” of snow looks like for u southerners:
Imagine double that. That’s what those NESIS 5 storms are.
I was in New York for the '96 storm so from what das posted the DC storm and icing event had to have been '93. I remember in '96 it took the people who are crazy enough to have cars in NYC weeks to dig them out of the snow. I wonder if they cleared the snow to find that they had 700 parking tickets or if the parking enforcement people just said To hell with this crap.
I thought Sphinx’s story the other day was going to be that when he rammed the second snowpile he discovered that there was a car inside it.
I guess I’ll go ahead and poke the elephant in the room…with all that land you have, you don’t have a garage or a barn?
Available garage space = Total number of garage spaces - nf
Where n = number of other household members and f = infinity
His $130,000 EV has to sit out in the snow…like a common Chevy Volt. That’s just sad.
I guess I’ll go ahead and poke the elephant in the room…with all that land you have, you don’t have a garage or a barn?
Ha. Two car garage + a stand-alone 1 car garage. Mornings when I leave for the airport at 4am, I park the car outside the night before so it does not wake my wife when I open the garage door. And, that’s my 24 year old “beater” car that I leave at the airport. And, @AFIC is 100% correct. I am often the odd man out…
When you’re expecting 18 inches of snow, sorry Honey, I’m gonna be opening the garage door at 4 am.
This is pretty much exactly as I’d always imagined these psychopaths to be.
That is quite an idyllic setting you have there. I would find it hard to leave.
If there’s 18 inches of snow i guarantee you I’m going nowhere
Is it the door or the opener that’s noisy? Our original chain-drive garage door opener used to vibrate the entire house. I replaced it with a belt-drive unit that can’t even be heard from the bedrooms directly above it. A couple hundred bucks and a Saturday of work is worth it, for both you and your wife.
It took me a while to realize you’re referencing the snow plow driver in the video and not us responding in this thread.
It’s a 30 year old chain driven unit. And, a creaky old door. I’ve lubed everything up and that helped by 50%. But, a 50% ruckus is still a ruckus.
I’ll keep your suggestion to myself until I am ready. Otherwise, it’ll show up on the honeydo list nanoseconds after the good idea is mentioned.


