Hunter Brown

… made the BA pre-season breakout team: Preseason Breakout MLB Prospect Team For 2021

Curses. Behind the paywall. Any notable commentary from the article?

10 walks + 17 hits allowed in 10.2 IP this year.

28 BBs in 34.2 innings in his very young career.

Oy.

Walks remain a big problem but he’s whiffed 26 batters in his last 14 IP.

Jake Kaplan wrote a piece about Brown in The Athletic today.

So that Brown’s performance has lacked this season isn’t much of a surprise. An adjustment period for a player progressing to the next step up the minor-league ladder is normal. Brown jumped up three. And after struggling early, he seems to have turned a corner recently.

“Obviously, I’d probably liked to have thrown a little better,” Brown said Tuesday at Corpus Christi’s Whataburger Field. “But I like where my stuff’s at. I like the direction I’m going. I’m feeling a lot more confident with it, especially probably like the last three outings I’ve been feeling really good. So I’m just kind of trying to keep that trajectory going.”

Brown has a 6.20 ERA through his first seven appearances, six starts, a sample of only 24 2/3 innings. His strikeout total (40) is as advertised, but so is his walk total (19). His best outings have been his last three, but honing his command — the biggest question facing him — is “still an ongoing process,” he said.

Best outing of his young career tonight: 6 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K

Last 4 appearances: 20 IP, 8 H, 10 BB, 35 K, 2.70 ERA

That one outing gained him recognition on this week’s BA Hot Sheet, coming in at #9.

Given Hunter Brown’s rocky start to the season, I was curious about how his final stat line shook out and this jumped out at me: 131 strikeouts in 100.1 innings pitched across AA and AAA.

Not bad at all for a 2019 draftee from DII Wayne State in his first full season as a pro.

For the full picture -1.415 WHIP - 50 walks and 92 hits (16 DBL, 3 TPL, 12 HR). What is interesting for someone with control issues is just 3 HBP.

He was promoted to AAA in August and had a lower K rate but also a lower walk rate. Promising sign.

Also, his last 4 outings of the year, 17 2/3 IP 15 Hits, 6 walks, 1.189 WHIP, 23 Ks, 6 runs allowed