Graduation gifts

I’ve got one niece in Raleigh and one in rural Chapel Hill. The one in Chapel Hill is nowhere near the university and has a real nice place in the woods. I’ve only driven through Durham but I think I prefer it to Waco.

You shouldn’t send me to Waco, Johnny.

1 Like

To be fair, I left there 20 years ago, and I’m sure it’s changed. I was just pointing out that there are three different cities there, all of which (used to at least) have three different personalities and lifestyles. And the locals really got annoyed by people lumping them together or calling it Raleigh-Durham, as if they were one city. Kind of like if you called it Oakland-San Francisco and treated them as exactly the same place. I get that way now when people say “Tampa Bay” as if that’s a real place.

Are you saying there isn’t a Tampa Bay? I thought there way a bay named Tampa.

There is a Tampa Bay. It’s not a place, it’s a body of water. No one lives in “Tampa Bay”.

We all have our windmills to tilt.

Reddish live in Tampa Bay.

I got some luggage for HS graduation.

Proved useful, finally replaced it 20 years later.

For one of our gifts this year we did Target gift card for dorm room setup.

1 Like

My nephew got luggage last year, along with the pillows.

Thought about luggage. That’s a nice gift. I got some for my college graduation.

So he’s going to Baylor… for the chicks.

Let’s check back in on this after the first semester, shall we?

There are a lot of pretty girls at Baylor.

1 Like

Let me change that, there are a lot of pretty Baptist girls at Baylor.

Now I believe you may have the complete picture.

That’s enough. I’ll choose the other place. I spent a week in Waco one day waiting for a bus.

Umm, I remember being in Waco 20 or so years ago, in an Olive Garden I think, and thinking I had never seen as many beautiful women together in my life, sitting four to a table with no guys in sight.

They’d be expelled if Baylor found out guys and girls were in the same restaurant together.

Unless one got raped, then they’d try to cover it up. Seriously, I had a friend whose knack for finding trouble caused his parents to want to send him to a good christian school with good christian values and good christian students. A place where he would stay out of the kinds of trouble he most definitely would find at a heathen public university. Apparently his weren’t the only parents with that idea. And all those kids with a knack for finding trouble had no trouble finding each other and hi-jinx ensued.

For nine years I worked at a baptist church that also operated a K-12 private school. I know how it goes. Although, in my experience, there were plenty of HS kids whose parents, teachers, and coaches thought they were angels when they were anything but. Not many kids were that way, mind you, but enough were.

Late one night one of my coworkers caught one of the varsity basketball players boning his cheerleader girlfriend in his car in the parking lot. Sex (especially on campus) was strictly forbidden and could’ve gotten both of them expelled. He reported it to the basketball coach. “No, they would never do that. They’re both strong Christians. Couldn’t have been them.”

So he was one of the team’s better players I take it.

1 Like