Getting Closer to "Play ball"

Umps agree to less pay.

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale tweets that the umpires will see their pay reduced by “about” 30 percent.

wait…umpires can see?

4 Likes

POTWA!

“Play ball” in Manfred’s dreams.

To start a season and have to shut it back down is worse than writing off the whole season.

Unless they’re willing to quarantine the entire teams and staff AND test everybody about every 48 hours the virus will get into a locker room and then another and then one 10 team division is shot and the whole thing comes apart.

I do not think MLB has thought this thing through.

My interest in MLB is at an all time low, but The inevitable change in scheduling and playoff would help, for me. Just the novelty of it. And if the Astros some how won in it all…that would be amazing. Just a huge middle finger to everyone.

I totally agree. Bringing the teams back together is crazy.

Here’s an article of dumb ideas for baseball’s return.

“What you do is, each game, you load up the stadium with their wives, at a distance from them and at a distance from each other, so there is no quarantine violation. The winning team gets to have their wives tested, and then essentially a conjugal visit.

“You can [film] all the girls. They’re beautiful. They’re in the stands, separated in their own sections or whatever. Those guys are now playing for more than the pride of winning a baseball game. If you go on an eight-game losing streak, that’s not good.”

I’d watch that scenario if each player has a cluster of seats set aside for groupies, mistresses, wives, girlfriends, and LGBT outliers. All sitting together, and miked separately and uncensored

This thing looks like a disaster:

SI Article

Looks like a schedule with games at all 30 venues. What could possibly go wrong?

At least the Braves front office will stand up to the possibility of moving to another division…Central Division Braves Not Happening…

Owners submitted their first salary proposal to the players yesterday. Instead of just simply prorating their salaries, it uses a sliding scale where the lowest paid players would get close to their full salary and the highest paid players would get… a lot less.

The formula the league offered, for example, would take a player scheduled to make the league minimum ($563,500), give him a prorated number based on 82 games ($285,228) and take a 10% cut from that figure, leaving him with a $256,706 salary.

The scale goes down as salaries go up, with every dollar:

• $563,501 to $1 million paid at 72.5%
  • $1,000,001 to $5 million paid at 50%
  • $5,000,001 to $10 million paid at 40%
  • $10,000,001 to $20 million paid at 30%
  • $20,000,001 and up paid at 20%

Under this formula, Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout, who at $37,666,666 has the highest full-season salary in baseball this year and would make $19,065,843 on a prorated basis over 82 games, would have a base salary of $5,748,577 – though players would be paid for only games played.

The players love the idea.

Just kidding. They hate it.

For the first time, I now believe we will get no baseball this year. The owners don’t want to if that is their pitch, they know the players would never accept it.

The tone-deafness of both sides is both incredible and not surprising at all.

2 Likes

What happens if the virus is still going strong when the world series is going on? Empty stadiums?

BTW, if they do have a season, will MLB air more games to maybe get more sales ad revenue , or count on every fan to buy into their MLB streaming services to bring in more revenue?

Tony Clark probably ends up paying more than sticker when he buys a car.

My money is on a July 4th opening day.

My money is on no season or on games with no fans.

I could not agree more with Mark Raup’s last post. Greedy bastards, all of them.

1 Like

To be clear I was talking about an opening day with no fans. And agree with Mark as well.