Fayetteville 2024

Talk about the Woodpeckers young roster here -

There are more players 20 and under on this roster than I remember being on low A rosters in the past:

RHP Sandy Mejia (1/3/04)
RHP Raimy Rodriguez (7/16/05)
C Will Bush (3/4/04)
SS Alberto Hernandez (2/4/04)
SS Chase Jaworsky (7/31/04)
3B Waner Luciano (1/13/05)
SS Alejandro Nunez (9/8/04)
OF Kenni Gomez (5/14/05)
OF Nehomar Ochoa Jr. (7/31/05)

Lots of high ceilings here.

And thanks for starting all these school busses this year!

3 Likes

I noted the amount of young starters in another thread and that it’s probably the reason why I’m more excited about this roster than any other in the system. A lot of high ceiling prospects on this team.

2 Likes

RHP Derek True, 2023’s 18th rounder, had a good season debut for the Woodpeckers last night. He threw 4.2 innings, 7K, 3H, 1BB. He pitched in relief all through college but the Astros are developing him as a starter.

1 Like

Alonzo Treadwell (2nd round 2023) is now in Fayetteville after some time in EST. Hadn’t pitched since a back injury in April of last year.

Tredwell had a little more mojo tonight in his second appearance for the Woodpeckers. Seven strikeouts in 3.1 no-hit innings. Three walks, too, but still a big improvement over his first outing. Short clip:

https://x.com/astrosfuture/status/1781122708287172731

He’s every bit of his listed 6’8”, huh.

1 Like

I posted (in the Asheville thread) about Cam Fisher and the general level of movement going on in MiLB at this time of year, but here I wanted to highlight Waner Luciano. But first, you gotta love that name!

He does not seem to be as lucky as we might wish, though; he has just been transferred to the “Development List” this week. He showed prodigious power in the complex leagues last year, with 10 HR in less than 200 PA (slashing .247/.345/.476) playing both 3B and RF after playing mostly 3B in the DSL the previous year. He has mostly split time between 3B and 2B this year, and the error totals at 3B all three years are a bit concerning. His power has dropped off this year (2 HR in 245 PA) and while his K-rate is not bad (~20%), his .174 batting average probably also contributes to the recent decision.

He is still only 19, so hopefully he can get a handle on what ails him and turn it around.

1 Like