Electric Vehicles

The CyberTruck has an optional tent attachment. It requires glue pads to attach it and the “Tent Mode” for the truck doesn’t exist yet in the software package. It looks like this:

Rivian R1S and R2 models have an optional tent attachment. The Rivians can auto-level themselves so that your tent is straight and level. The tent has lights and a heater, powered from the vehicle. It looks like this:

One of these things is not like the other.

I bet the Rivian’s tent is more likely to blow off at speed, and that ladder would be ridiculous on the highway.

3 Likes

And here I thought you couldn’t make a Cybertruck dumber.

1 Like

Makes picking up hitchhikers easier than ever. Anyway, if you choose the Rivian how are people supposed to know you’re a dumbass just by looking?

1 Like

Elon surrounds himself with fanboys who are more than ready to hold his beer.

I’ve seen the Rivian and if you are “picking up” … hitchhikers with one then umm I can’t help you.

I reckon the cybertruck must be the most popular EV in Oklahoma.

Oops.

The electric vehicle maker’s growth in its core markets has moderated, Wells Fargo analyst Colin Langan wrote in a note to clients Wednesday, as he downgraded the stock to the equivalent of a sell rating.

Meanwhile, in China…

Saw my first cybertruck in the wild yesterday. It’s even uglier in person, like a really ugly military vehicle or something. Not sure who buys these. A subset of those who would buy a Hummer, but are also concerned about climate change? Likely not a big market.

1 Like

Don Lemon and Elon Musk recently announced a new collaboration for Lemon to have a platform on Xitter. Lemon interviewed Musk for the first episode to kick it off with a bang. The interview went so well that Musk cancelled the entire show before the first episode aired.

Just your friendly reminder that this man’s companies are intertwined with our national security.

If Congress is banning TikTok because of concerns about its ownership…

I saw a Cybertruck yesterday. In Manhattan. I have no explanation for this.

1 Like

CyberTruckster: Hold my beer!

And the (s)hits keep on coming:

SpaceX’s latest test flight of its Starship vehicle exploded this morning. Starship - intended to carry humans into space - maintains its 100% record of in-flight rapid unscheduled disassembly.

The test was deemed successful as it took longer to blow up than the last one. It was so successful that the FAA has launched an enquiry into how successful it was.

(Seriously, the FAA already announced an enquiry into what went wrong.)

Your tax dollars at work, people.

OK, this may be an electric SUV I can get behind:

VW is reviving a storied American brand to sell electric SUVs (yahoo.com)

It will be interesting to see what price point they’re going for, because the $50-70,000 electric crossover market is absolutely awash with options. There’s a reason why Rivian’s launch of the R2 was totally overshadowed by the “one more thing” announcement of the R3.

The market is gagging for an affordable, i.e. +/- $30,000, car/hatchback/crossover/whatever. China is pumping them out by the millions.

Speaking of $50-70,000 electric crossovers, Fisker is bankrupt.

“Just” $121 million in the bank, but $182 million in bills due.

I liked their design, but they face planted on the manufacturing and skimped on some of the now-standard driver goodies.

There is no such thing as a “crossover”. There is an SUV then there is a station wagon. You’re one or the other. Most are the latter.

Sure. But whatever they want to call that type of vehicle, everyone starting up or moving into the EV-making business thinks that what the market needs is a version of the same thing everyone else is making, but with their badge on the front.

It’s not rocket surgery: just make vehicles in classes that has been successful in ICE form, but that isn’t the same thing that every EV maker is making. Alpha is trying to make an affordable small pick-up - the Wolf - (and a whole bunch of wild and interesting models to boot). Rivian is going to make an affordable family hatchback (hopefully).

Chevy makes the Bolt at an affordable price but, while they no longer catch fire while charging, the charging infrastructure of the vehicle is still a problem. It will be interesting to see the pricing on the Equinox EV that’s coming out some time this year; it’s big brother Blazer EV starts at $48k so it should be at least sub-$40k. But the CarPlay unforced faceplant is going to hurt sales of all Chevy products because their own infotainment system isn’t good (no car manufacturer is ever going to be able to replicate the experience of your own Android or iPhone).

I mean, Polestar managed to make a popular and successful EV on the chassis of a Volvo sedan. So what’s their follow up? they release the Polestar 3, which is a ground-up EV that’s [checks notes] an “SUV” that starts at $80k. Yawn.

It’s not just me.