Correa says

The Athletic quotes him thusly:

“My last year with the Astros, hopefully we can win another championship,” said Correa. “I can leave this great organization with two of them.”

Really? He doesn’t even know the offers he will receive and yet, knows the Houston offer won’t cut it?

Sounds to me like he simply wants out.

Correa said there would be no negotiating during the season, so I don’t understand why he’s making these comments now. We all knew the reported offer at the end of Spring Training wasn’t good enough (6 years, 120 million).

Also, the Astros and Correa have gone to arbitration multiple times and Correa has not taken issue with it, simply calling it business.

My read on this is that he floated a number, and they told him bon voyage.

2 Likes

He knows somebody (Yankees) is going to throw an insane amount of money at him and he knows he is going to take it.
Correa appears to be a very media savvy. I am surprised he would make a statement like that. Is the writer quoting Correa directly or is he quoting someone who is quoting someone who is quoting Correa?

Sure, but what happens if that floated number is soundly rejected by all the competitors?

Then he’ll have to eat a big slice of humble pie.

He’s negotiating while he’s not negotiating.

5 Likes

Correa, directly. The author is Andy McCullough. He clarified on twitter that this is the full direct quote, which Correa gave him during a conversation this past Saturday.

If he’s already made up his mind to leave, what difference does it make? His past comments had lots to say about understanding “the business aspect” of baseball, not taking low offers personally, wanting to test the market, etc. This sounds markedly different.

That’s how I see it: He’s trying to influence Crane via the press.

I also think this is a silly tactic because I’m sure the Astros wanted to see Correa stay healthy over the 162-game schedule while hitting at an elite level before giving him a 7-or-8-year-deal in the neighborhood of $25-30 million per season.

1 Like

It is inconceivable to me that he that he doesn’t win the Gold Glove every year. He is head and shoulders above the shortstops now playing. I guess I don’t see enough baseball and don’t know what to look for. In any defensive situation, who would you pick to be at shortstop?

1 Like

Yeah, if he’s already decided to potentially take less money to leave, that’s pretty dumb.

I understand that someone will likely offer more and my point here is meaningless, but rejecting the present team prior to the bidding is a dumb tactic, both for his wallet and for his status as a team leader.

Even without Correa, the Astros can field a team that will contend for the best record in the league next year. Not many teams could absorb the loss of Springer and Correa caliber players and still be competitive - not to mention Verlander and Grienke if they don’t come back.

4 Likes

I think Carlos simply sees the writing on the wall.

It was reported in April that the biggest hurdle in an extension prior to the season was time. The report was that the organization does not make long term commitments.

As a premium free agent at a premium position at a young age, Correa wants the contract to be Long term.

After all, his peers are getting more than the 6 years the Astros offered.

Also, the fact that he has been healthy and having a very good season basically means he will get his wish.

Somebody will give him much more than 6 yrs and more than $20-25 mil per year.

He simply expects the Astros to be true to their word and not commit that to anyone

But making the statement means the ball is in Click and/or Crane’s court.

All they need to do is make some kind of statement that their policy is not absolute and they would consider a longer deal in the right circumstances.

I agree, although I’d very much like to keep him.

If Astroball is still a thing, it’s about sustained competitiveness. If signing one player adversely affects that, it’s not worth it.

1 Like

Being competitive is one thing.

Winning a World Series is another.

At some point the window will close if the team is made up of good to great players that can’t/don’t perform on that stage.

The more proven players the team loses the more they sink to everyone else’s level.

The Gold Gloves that awarded Rafael Palmeiro a Gold Glove in 1999 for 28 games at first base? Those Gold Gloves?

2 Likes

The issue is where do you spend the money. Some of it can go towards extending Graveman and exploring what it would take to get Greinke and/or Verlander back.

For next season, they aren’t replacing Yuli at 1B, Altuve at 2B, Bregman at 3B, Brantley in LF, Tucker in RF, nor Alvarez at DH. They also have Diaz, Maldonado and Castro under contract, as well. Starling Marte is an option, but both Meyers and McCormick have held their own in center.

Also, what elite starting pitchers are realistically going to sign here? I don’t expect Kershaw or Scherzer to leave the Dodgers, so other than Greinke and Verlander, do you really want to give Kevin Gausman, Carlos Rodon, Robbie Ray or Jon Gray the type of long-term contract they are looking for?

1 Like