Correa Re-Signing: Will He or Won't He?

$160 million ain’t exactly chump change. That’s a significant offer. It wasn’t enough to get a deal done, but to suggest it was low ball is insane.

5 Likes

Also, it was reported he had shoulder issues - I’m sure that could affect his throwing and his swing. Glad he signed with Red Sox and not the Astros.

2 Likes

It’s not chump change, but relative to what similar players to Correa received as free agents, it’s not in the ballpark. Mookie Betts, Corey Seager, Bryce Harper, Manny Machado, Fernando Tatis Jr. and Francisco Lindor all recently received at least double the years and 300 million.

Here is the infinite loop again. Please make this the end. Did I miss Correa signing for 10/300?

This is one of the major tests of Astroball (if that still is or ever was a thing). Whatever the calculus is, I’m sure giving Story 6/140 was never the answer.

3 Likes

Giving Story that deal to ultimately have him or Pena move to LF in 2023 never made a lot of sense. The Astros should use the money saved to either upgrade center field, add another top of the rotation arm, or add a late-inning bullpen weapon.

Most of those options will have to come via trade now. (Reynolds and Mullins in CF; Montas and Castillo for the top of the rotation arm)

1 Like

Agreed. The thread is “will he or won’t he?”

He didn’t. He won’t. Let’s move on.

2 Likes

He signed for 3/$105.

And a few cents. If I heard correctly, it was the highest AAV to date, and I don’t think that was an accident. Correa wanted that notch in his belt.

1 Like

And that’s fine. They didn’t come to a deal. But to suggest the Astros low balled him and that it took 10-years to sign him is just false.

2 Likes

Repeatedly, boringly, incessantly, repetitively, redundantly false.

2 Likes

Highest for an infielder, iirc, if not a position player.

Highest for infielder, not higher than Trout.

And this I think is what mattered to Correa, and the Astros were never going to put forth any kind of a contract that approached this.

According to Spotrac, that title still belongs to Anthony Rendon at just over $36MM. I’m sure I’m missing something though.

Yeah, there is a conflict somewhere. My comment about only Trout being higher came from both The Athletic and MLB Trade Rumors. That doesn’t mean it’s fact though.

EDIT: Roster resource has Rendon making $36M plus over the next few years, but they list his AAV as an even $35M, which I guess is where Correa edges him.

I remember something you wrote more than 20 years ago about Dierker. When the manager loses the clubhouse, he is no longer effective.

THIS.

(responding to the Hinch/Beltran comment).

Chandler is not exactly taking this well.