Correa Re-Signing: Will He or Won't He?

That would have been a 24-yr-old standing up to a 40-yr-old potential Hall-of-Famer. Seems unlikely.

Even younger. Just 22.

A star player with his future in front of him versus a vet at the end of his career. Altuve didn’t use it and he wasn’t a lot older.

Altuve didn’t use the system because it didn’t help him. I don’t think you can infer much more than that from Altuve’s motivation. I’m not sure that it was so much that it was hard for younger players to stand up to their elders as that the elders’ blessing normalized stealing signs with electronics. And, after all, stealing signs (at least without electronic aids) is what you’re supposed to do.

That whole business will always be a failure of management. I loved Hinch, but he was the one person who could have, and should have, stopped it.

ETA: Correa drinks Bud Lite.

2 Likes

We’re done here.

1 Like

The tragedy of the situation is that he knew he should, but only made half hearted attempts to do so.

Yeah.

Maybe he just doesn’t like having most of his October tied up playing baseball. What time of year does the UFC schedule get going?

1 Like

He was too much of an organization man, then wished it could go away after Cora replaced the destroyed equipment. A Stanford psychology degree was worthless against a street fighter

I was always baffled at how little respect somebody must have had for Hinch to keep it going after he tore the monitor off the wall twice.

5 Likes

and how little confidence Hinch had in his own ability to lead. Hinch’s not stopping the system immediately and his not telling Beltran “No. Not here.” were my biggest disappointments in the whole sordid mess.

5 Likes

I hope he comes home after a year. He was our Derek Jeter. He took the heat. I don’t think he is ever getting a 10-year deal with his history of back issues. But I hope he proves me wrong. Hate that it ended. But he is one of the true all-time Astros greats.

Now, what would be so wrong with Trevor Story? Better bat. Less in the field. Texas kid. Said to be very much on Yankees and Red Sox shopping list.

And what would be wrong with adding Michael Conforto? Move Tuck to Center. Not great, but not bad. Add another bat. Be 8 deep again in the batting order. A little heavy left handed, but with the new no-shift rules, that has to work for the team.

2B Altuve
LF Brantley
3B Bregman
DH Alvarez
SS Story
CF Tucker
RF Conforto
1B Gurriel
C Maldanado

Night not be quite as strong as the Dodgers, but better than anyone else (Phillies have sticks now too - though no defense to go along with it).

Baker has said recently he does not want Tucker in CF. Neither do I.

2 Likes

Story is a .241 career hitter away from Colorado and his power numbers drop way off. I’m not sure if I would trust paying a premium for him vs just using what we already have.

1 Like

Conforto is not a good outfielder and not a consistent hitter.

Other than that I think he’s great.

ETA: I agree with you about Correa next year in that I hope he does return. But I’m also pretty stoked about Pena. His glove is supposed to be excellent and in limited time last year in Sugarland he excelled at the plate as well. And FWIW he’s always looked like a hitter.

1 Like

Me too, this exactly. And IIRC he did it twice.

It’s small comfort but I’m certain they were Hinch’s biggest disappointments too.

Nevermind

While I would like Correa to return, don’t bet on it. Chandler Rome reporting today that the Astros were not only not even close to a deal with Correa, they didn’t even move off the 5 @ $160M offer previously made. It appears to have been all window dressing by Crane to appease the fans.

Miss Correa?

Yeah.

He’s not coming back.

He might…

No, he’s not.