Correa Re-Signing: Will He or Won't He?

No one can convince me the Twins were Correa’s choice. His favored teams all said no.

3 Likes

Well, if so, I misunderstood, but all it takes is one team. The Astros could have been that one team. They didn’t want to be.

Necks will invariably take the side of the owner over a player. It’s annoying, but not surprising, it’s a swallows of Capistrano sort of thing.

I don’t see why the team didn’t offer him what is effectively a one year deal if that’s what he wants. Springer was never, ever going to sign in Houston under any circumstances, so it’s idiotic to keep bringing his case up. I never saw any indication that Correa’s relationship with the organization was poisoned, at all, so again, I don’t understand why the team would be ardently opposed to the sort of deal that Minnesota offered. Is it ideal for the team? Of course not. But it seems far preferable to letting one of your key pieces walk.

3 Likes

This is why I don’t think Houston had a firm, comparable offer on the table.

1 Like

Makes me have all the more respect for the likes of Bagwell, Biggio, and to a lesser extent Altuve for their realizing loyalty and happiness and winning are worth more than a few extra dollars.

3 Likes

Very possible, and if they didn’t, it’s puzzling.

Minnesota did not offer that deal. They accepted Boras’ offer.

Do not imply I am a fucking ‘neck.

2 Likes

In the long term, it’s renting an expensive player who you know will not sign anything but a long term mega deal which you also know won’t be done in Houston.

And it delays finding out what you have in Peña. Plus there’s the distraction thing but I don’t know how big a deal that is or isn’t.

In the short term, it makes you less likely to win the division and have success in the postseason. Doesn’t eliminate the chances, but hurts them.

Shit Jim, that’s the case with almost everyone of Boras’ contracts with any team. That’s why he’s the top agent in the business.

But don’t think for a second that the Twins were not, and had not, checked in on Correa. Once they dumped Donaldson they went looking for a shortstop. Most had them tied to Story, but when Correa refused to budge off his mega length of a contract deal, other teams needing a shortstop also jumped in on Story, which increased his market and leverage. Minnesota obviously felt better about giving Correa more money on a shorter deal than Story a little less on a longer deal, given his splits away from Coors. The Twins only competitor for Correa was most likely Houston and they were comfortable enough with the deal. Evidently Crane wasn’t or he wasn’t in the ballpark to begin with.

Somebody gets it.

And nobody bitches when an owner has complete control during a player’s pre-arb and arb years.

2 Likes

I doubt the Astros were interested in a 1-year deal and having to deal with this shit again next year.

6 Likes

We don’t know that they didn’t. My guess is they didn’t, but do we know for certain what they offered?

I do not. As I’ve mentioned, I’m friends with a fellow who works for one of the minority owners, so perhaps I’ll get some useful information from him. Others here have knowledgeable connections, too, so I imagine we’ll develop a reasonably accurate idea over time.

I really wanted him back but I’m glad we don’t have to go through that again next year.
Good for Carlos. Time to move on.

7 Likes

I have no knowledge of the negotiations, other than the reports from those like Rosenthal, etc. we all have seen all week.

I missed the news until just now.

Haven’t read all the comments yet.

Anyway. It sucks but its over.

I really like Pena and the team must continue to develop young regular players and pitchers to remain contenders.

Framber, Urquidy, Luis Garcia replaced Keuchel, Morton, McHugh, etc

Tucker and Alvarez replaced Redfick and Gattis.

Let’s hope that Jeremy is a solid dependable appreciative player who is fun to watch.

And let’s sign Kyle and Yordan to extensions

Eliminate the Twins in the ALCS ( Pena gets winning hit) and win the World Series.

Bingo. One year of Look At Me Correa is enough.

2 Likes

$32 million per year for 5 years for a guy who averages roughly 115 games played per season is nothing to turn your nose at.

Welcome back, Ebby!

5 Likes

I feel like I processed most of the stages of grief earlier in the off-season. The anger is fading into acceptance for me.