College Football 2023

I mean UTSA has gone 23-5 over the last two years and returns the QB and HC from both of teams

1 Like

I’d bet UTSA

1 Like

Oh I know, I’ve been a big fan of theirs for a few years, I recommend going to one of their home games and having a night out in SA

I’m sure Holgorson has a plan for them, though.

I dunno. Holgo seems more like a “hit on 16 cause I’ve got a feeling” guy than a planner.

2 Likes

Who, this guy?

dana

1 Like

You have not been watching the Holgorson Cougars.

I’m looking forward to the game, will enjoy the new uniforms and whatever halftime show the Cougars put on, but I expect UTSA to beat the shit out of us.

The thing about Holgorson: his hip-shootin’ crap works just often enough to keep him employed. His W. Va. teams pulled off some upsets.

Stanford and Cal find a home in the ACC along with SMU. SMU is forfitting any TV money for a next however long to get in.

Apparently nine years. And Cal and Stanford taking 30% shares. Which means about an additional $5M/year for existing members.

Is that enough for FSU? I doubt it.

Holy shit! They may be condemning themselves to a decade or more of guaranteed uncompetitiveness . Cal and Stanford deserve better, but beggars can’t be choosers.

The Pac 12 just evaporated.

They wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t have assurances from boosters to foot the bill in the mean time

Maybe so, but the schools getting a full share also have boosters.

Can we just separate them from schools now and let them make their way (or not) as the minor league ventures that they are?

2 Likes

The schools do not want that. Giving goes up when your sports team goes well. Alumni pride and all that.

Also it is marketing for future students. Before Saban, Bama was mostly and instate school. 2002 -2003 - 22.7% of the freshman class was out of state. 2010-2011 - 42.8% freshmen were out of state. By 2015 - over half of the freshman class was from out of state. When my son went on a tour there, he was the only kid in the group from Alabama. They love that higher out of state tuition.

If you do not think college athlete go to school and have academic requirements, I do not know what to say to you. Of course, they get tutors and academic help, but they still are students just as I was. You have no clue, apparently, of how difficult it is to balance the requirements of the coach with the requirements of the professors. Saying it is not “school” is laughable cynicism.

With all due respect, comparing your situation from 50 years ago, when they were undoubtedly “STUDENT-athletes” does not always transfer to the current scenario with “student-ATHLETES”. This is all very much like European club football – very much amateur at the lowest levels and very much professional at the top levels, but a LOT of club spirit at all levels.

Well, if it isn’t Chuck all over again telling me I am so old my information is not current enough to give any credence. I do not know if you have any idea how involved I am with current sports events or with current athletic departments or if you and Chuck think I sit around wearing a shawl and talking to myself about the good old days.

With all due respect (man, do I hate that meaningless phrase), you do not have a fucking clue about the workload of today’s college athletes and prefer to be smugly superior in your condescending and judgmental dismissal college athletes. I wish you had to balance what they must, and maybe your nose in the air would come down a bit.

I am talking to the air apparently. Nothing more from me on this.

He was a good coach at one time, but he sure hasn’t been at UH.

2 Likes

This is a topic with a lot of different aspects to it, and one not well-suited to discussion in this format. We should take it up over beers sometime.

Looks like a lot of assumptions on both sides here. I do have a clue, though you are correct that I do not know about your level of current engagement. I was responding to your reference to when you were in school as a student athlete. And I am not seeing evidence of smugness, superiority, condescension or judgmental dismissal. My only point was that times and contexts have changed – and for the athletes themselves, probably for the better. NIL money is well earned, I am sure, but it changes things in an number of ways – including the challenge these 18-22 year olds have in balancing priorities. This is again very much like the European club football – ours just has colleges as the clubs.