College Football 2022

I think you are wrong.

Before signing or after signing?

Before. After is legal.

1 Like

If you think that is not contacting recruits or using NIL as an inducement to sign, I have a good deal on a bridge for you.

1 Like

Part of Saban’s tirade a few days ago at Deion and Jimbo. Pretty funny.

1 Like

Do NIL deals have to be disclosed, at least to the college the athlete attends? If not, it seems like the least the NCAA could require, and police, is that there is public disclosure of NIL deals.

I don’t know. On the one hand, you and I are under no obligation to disclose our sources of income, so why should these guys be? On the other hand, without that kind of disclosure, how do you regulate this stuff?

Disclosed to the school itself but apparently nowhere else beyond that…

Hidden

[Aggie AD] Bjork said it’s difficult to do because whenever a player signs an NIL deal, they’re required to disclose it to the school’s compliance department. “When it comes to disclosure, because they’re students, it becomes a student record,” Bjork told me. “I do agree with you that if there were sunshine on all the contracts (it would be beneficial), but they’re students and these are student records and they’re not subject to open records.” Bjork said that originally the NCAA planned to have a central database in which every NIL deal would be stored and publicly viewable. But that didn’t happen, so now everyone is left to speculate on who got what unless you’ve seen a contract, or you have an involved figure like Ruiz openly tweeting out details. So, though Bjork agrees with the overall sentiment that transparency would help all this, “It’s not that straightforward and it’s not a coach or even an AD that can decide that.”

Thanks, the article and another one linked within, were helpful, somewhat.

The article about the A&M “Fund” implied that they have a collective that serves as a promotional agency that guarantees a specific amount to the player and will serve as a facilitator of deals. The fund will recoup money by taking a cut of the deals.

The other article has a statement by the A&M AD stating “I wish we could be transparent but the deals are between a student and a third party, so no dice.”

The Aggie setup is different than the UT collectives, in that we know what athletes get from the UT collective. That is sort of the point: you lure athletes by a widely broadcast payment. The Aggies is hush hush in that the public doesn’t know, only the Fund and the athlete. Awfully convenient.

At any rate, the lack of transparency by them breeds suspicion, at least from me. Either there is under the table cash, or deals/agreements are established with the Fund during recruiting.

If the NIL deals are not limited to deals for enrolled athletes, there will be widespread abuse. There already is if the stories about Addison and USC/Riley are true.

U of H, Cincinnati and UCF all reach settlement with AAC on exit fees and will join the Big 12 effective with the ‘23 football season.

Rice announced today it’s taking steps to leave CUSA to join the AAC.

2 Likes

Same category as death and taxes.

What’d they do, pay him while he was still in the portal?

There’s a very good basketball player at Miami who is basically holding out, saying if he doesn’t get more NIL money he’s transferring. Expect more of this.

Pittsburgh alleged Riley promised him NIL money to go into the portal and to transfer to USC.

Arch Manning committed to Texas for 23

5 Likes

My first thought was that - People’s expectations of Manning are unreasonable and he has chosen a school with a rational fan base who handles not meeting expectations well. [removes tongue from cheek]

Every fan base, within his realm of choices, is the same way.

Some of the other options have resent reasons to have high expectations. The one he chose thinks they should compete for national titles and hasn’t been close to that for over a decade.