College Basketball 2023 - 2024

Something I’ve never seen before: Austin Peay has a 1-armed basketball player

Wow, it’s hard to imagine how you could be effective with only one arm.

It’s a very good arm.

2 Likes

Half as many pushing off fouls, and no double dribbles.

2 Likes

Ha!!!

Jamal Shead
*Big 12 POY
*Big 12 Defensive POY
*1st Team All Big 12
*All Big 12 Defensive Team

Dylan Disu
*Big 12 Most Improved Player
*1st Team All Big 12

1 Like

Quite the disarming post!

Big XII Tournament starts Tuesday. It’s a new format for the 14 team league with the top four seeds getting byes to the quarterfinals, seeds five through ten get a bye to the second round, and seeds eleven through fourteen play a first round game.

For #14 West Virginia and #13 Oklahoma State, the only way into the NCAA Tournament is an improbable five consecutive wins on five consecutive days to a Big XII Tournament championship. #12 Central Florida and #11 Cincinnati will need four wins to get near “the bubble”. Cincinnati could just do it.

#10 Kansas State has a glimmer of hope for the NCAA but will have to beat the #7 Longhorns in the second round and #2 Iowa State in the quarterfinals to have a realistic chance. The Longhorns are in the NCAA already, but could help their seeding with one or more wins. I’m not sure the Cyclones can do much as I think they are already a #2 in the NCAA and unlikely to move from there.

#3 Baylor is already a #3 or #4 in the NCAA and unlikely to improve their seed unless they win the Big XII Tournament. #4 Texas Tech, #5 BYU, #6 Kansas, #8 TCU, and #9 Oklahoma (probably) are in the NCAA but can improve their position with one or more wins.

#1 Houston is already probably the overall #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. That’s unlikely to change regardless of Big XII Tournament results.

Just curious – How do you figure the unranked Longhorns are “in the NCAA already” but nationally ranked teams like Tech, BYU, and Kansas are only “probably” in?

I think his “probably” only applied to OU. That’s how I read it.

1 Like

OK – Admittedly, I teach English composition, so factor that in. But when the phrase contains “… all (probably) …” it seems fair to assume it means that “probably” applies to “all”.

That’s a fair assumption, and surely the technically correct reading. I reread it and am not sure why I interpreted it the way I did. I guess it’s the only interpretation that made sense to me.

JBM is right. Sorry for my poor punctuation.

Dickinson and McCullers will miss the Big12 tournament due to injuries. Tough to see KU winning a game much less 3 without them.

From today’s Bubble Watch on The Athletic:

Texas Tech and Texas both move to the lock line after quality home wins to close the regular season — Tech against Baylor and Texas against Oklahoma. The Sooners stay on the “projected to be in” line with TCU, which lost to UCF on Saturday but has a couple very strong wins over Houston at home and Baylor on the road. Oklahoma has wins home wins over Iowa State and BYU and faces off against TCU in the second round of the Big 12 tournament. A win for either would be a neutral-floor Q1 and might be enough to bump them to a lock. A loss for either could potentially start some bubble chatter.

The separate Bracket Watch column has Texas as a 7-seed, which is the highest they’ve been in a while.

Right now they have the Big 12 as follows:

1- Houston
2- Iowa State, Baylor
3- Kansas
4- BYU
7- Texas
8- Texas Tech
9- Oklahoma
11- TCU (last four byes)
Next Four Out- Kansas St

UCF and Cincinnati win their games, as expected. Four games in the Big XII Tournament tomorrow: UCF and BYU, OU and TCU, KSU and UT, and UC and KU.

West Virginia blew a 16 point 2nd half lead, committed three costly technical fouls and was outcoached.

Wow! I didn’t see the game, only the result.

Cincinnati could do some damage in this tournament.

Nope. They pulled that off because some guy was unconscious in the 2nd half and hit 7 or 8 3-pointers. And WV did some stupid things. Neither of those is the sort of sustainable thing you can base a winning streak on.