College Basketball 2023 - 2024

My main goal in life is to keep you amused.

1 Like

Here is your excuse. Texas could have won because UH did not play its “normal” game. Of course.

It seemed like a typical Big 12 game in terms of the home side getting favorable calls. KSU got the same treatment Saturday in Houston. The way games are called is one of the main reasons it is so hard to win on the road in this conference.

Texas came out in the second half and played a lot better at both ends. They made a real game out of it. Mitchell and Weaver can play some defense. Hunter’s cramps hurt, he was having a good game before that. LJ Cryer went cold and couldn’t find the bottom of the net but just kept jacking up one shot after another. Shead had a bad shooting night as well but still scored 25.

It was an exciting finish.

IMO it was the best called game I have seen in person. They let them play. UH had 20 fouls, and Texas had 16. Houston’s defense is smothering, and G
fouls should be expected. I thought UH’s double digit lead meant the game was over, but UT did a good job coming back. UH is the better team, of course, but the better team does not always win. Hunter’s bad pass on a fast break with the score tied at 65 and under 30 seconds left was the killer.

No kidding, Hunter’s decision there was a killer. Jump in the air and hope that Houston will leave somebody open for you? Not happening.

Hunter’s bad pass was preceded at the other end of the court by an equally bad pass by Sharp. I thought they were a 2 or 3 non-calls when Shead got hacked on penetrating drives. That happens every game at home and on the road. And a couple non-calls when Francis got hacked while attempting a rebound. But others than a few non-calls I thought the game was fairly well called as demonstrated by the closeness in fouls and free throw attempts.

Houston style of defense is going to attract a lot of fouls called. And they get away with non-calls too. But that is the nature of that kind of smothering defense.

I think Shead and Sampson are what makes Houston the better team. Texas has a lot of talent too but they don’t have anyone like Shead. He is one of the best point guards Houston has ever had.

Houston is a really good, connected team on both ends of the court. Texas is a really talented team trying to achieve the level of connectedness and consistency Houston plays with. Houston’s connectedness on defense and offensive rebounding is what really sets them apart.

For Texas, Dylan Disu and Max Abmas are very good scorers, Tyrese Hunter is a solid point guard, and Dillon Mitchell is one of the best athletes in college basketball. The first half, neither Abmas nor Disu could get going. In the second half, Disu finally started playing like he normally does, and Dillon Mitchell was active to begin the half. Abmas started to play like himself midway through the half.

Houston is not a good shooting team. They win games due to stifling defense and offensive rebounding. Both were on display last night. Texas allowed far too many offensive rebounds and missed too many free throws. The offensive rebounding late in the game was the difference.

Also, Houston plays a brand of physical defense where referees could call a foul on pretty much every position, if they were so inclined.

Kinda what I said. There were lots of non-calls in the paint. Drying to the rim was hazardous as Abmas and Hunter can tell you.

Texas Tech down to TCU 40-36 at the half in Fort Worth.

Tech loses to TCU 85-78.

And UNC goes down to Georgia Tech by one.

1 Like

Northwestern played a heckuva game against Purdue last night but lost by nine. Purdue shot 46 free throws, Northwestern shot eight.

It was insane. Never seen a FT discrepancy like that.

Yeah that seems dubious.

Which foul do you call here?

https://twitter.com/illinihead21/status/1752845397494509948

It was never a foul when Shaq did it.

All 3 on the offensive player.

Shouldn’t have put his face against that guy’s elbow.