College Baseball 2022

Last June was a long time ago for my memory. Didn’t the UA coach leave? If so, was it to LSU and who replaced him?

That’s correct. Jay Johnson left for lsu and my alma mater hired Chip Hale to replace him. Hale is one of the best players to every come out of UA and was on the '86 National Championship team that beat free shoes university. It’s his first collegiate coaching gig, but he’s had extensive MLB coaching experience, and to Johnson’s credit, he left behind a lot of talent and a full cupboard from the CWS team last year.

I remember attending their final game in Omaha and watching them a few times in the regionals. Recall some freshman, really good hitter, did he leave or stay?

Never mind. Jacob Berry was his name. I see he went to LSU as well.

And there was quite a bit of fallout with several of his teammates on Twitter when he did.

From the 2022 MLB Draft thread

Some SEC names of note:

1. 3B Jacob Berry, LSU (U of Arizona transfer followed coach Jay Johnson to the Tigers)

Hell of a good player. Had he stayed at the UofA, BatCats may very well have been favored to win the PAC-12, not UCLA.

1 Like

He’s dead to me.

Let’s go BatCats.

Texas Tech with a walk-off single to beat Michigan 7-6.

The 2022 season is underway!

BatCats beat the land thieves yesterday 14-4. They play their old Border Conference rivals tonight, who lost to Duman’s alma mater yesterday.

2 Likes

There’s a rather wide gulf between the Horns and the Owls.

It was a 2-1 pitcher’s duel and a pretty good game with Auburn getting the edge.
Border Conference Rules!!!

Remember when Rice was a damn good program?

Seems like a long, long time ago.

Well, I’ve never seen that before: Texas kid struck out on a high fastball that wound up hitting him in the forehead.

Graham overstayed. I think they could be a good program again.

For those not following along on the Longhorn Network: UT with the 3-game sweep against Rice by a combined 36-3 score.

Also a forgettable weekend for the Owls’ crosstown rival. The Coogs lose all 3 games at the MLB4 tournament including a 10-0 shellacking by TCU today.

And in perhaps the biggest matchup of opening weekend, #7 Okla. State went into Nashville and took 2 of 3 games against #3 Vandy.

1 Like

Auburn allowed just 5 runs (4 earned) in the three games they played this weekend.
They also had a successful steal of home.

https://twitter.com/AuburnBaseball/status/1495463208668340228

Just looked at the Sunday game - K-State hit 8 Auburn batters. 4 of those came with the bases loaded. Hope your team brings plenty of ice for K-State games.

2 Likes

BatCats go 3-0 against the Big XII with their 13-2 win over Texas Tech yesterday. For the weekend, they weren’t terribly far off the Longhorns’ pace. Out scored K State, oklahoma, and Tech 35-12. And they did it without their starting third baseman (also one of the team’s best hitters) who’s out with a shoulder injury.

1 Like

This doesn’t sound at all familiar to a Longhorn fan.

2 Likes

Rice and Houston weren’t the only Texas teams to suck this weekend. Baylor, picked in preseason polls to finish 5th in the Big 12 behind the Top 25 teams of UT/OK St/Tech/TCU, dropped all 3 of its games at home to Maryland. The Terrapins entered the Top 25 today as a result at #22. And DBU dropped 2 of 3 games at home to SEMO and fell out of the Top 25.