Coaching/Front Office Hires & Promotions 2023

Yeah, I am pretty dumb.

Crane has pretty good personnel instincts, fwiw

My “friend’s” take

Not shocked at the Rosenthal list on GM candidates. Dana Brown is the guy a month ago I posted that Crane had spoken to and was someone the Astros really wanted to interview.

Brown is an excellent candidate and chiefly responsible for the Braves US draft and he is the architect to their minor league coaching staff and philosophy.

The Astros had to talk Brown into having interest. I was told that Brown is very demanding and doesn’t take **** from anyone. Has the reputation of being a very combative person at times. How he gets along with Crane will be huge.

Hill is well thought of and a lot of baseball people believe he didn’t have more success because of his owner with the Marlins. He has been viewed as very bright. He also was know as fair but high strung.

Bobby Evans is someone I didn’t hear anything about. I remember his term as GM with the Giants and it was okay but not great.

As far as other names I have heard? Dan Evans is someone they have spoken with.

A combative GM will not last long anywhere.

Sure, but the owner of a company typically doesn’t micromanage every detail. He hires people to do a job and judges them based on the results. If the owner hires a GM and doesn’t grant some level of autonomy, what is the point of hiring one in the first place? Just name yourself as GM

1 Like

Somebody does not know what autonomy means. Maybe it is me

“Autonomy means **being in control of your own decisions without outside influence”

Hence:

These are more references to employee autonomy or workplace autonomy, which is obviously not complete autonomy. I don’t think anyone here is expecting the latter.

1 Like

Autononmy, as I undstand it, is the right to self government, typically within a larger state. The states of the United States have autonomy in many things but are subject to federal laws. A GM is typically given autonomy in roster construction, with some mandates from above depending on the owner

Ok, I give up. Whatever you wordsmiths say.

No GM is going to have autonomy with Crane.
I can’t imagine any GM anywhere would.

To go back to this - I thought I recalled reading that Luhnow’s abrasiveness actually appealed to Crane.

Depends on whether he was abrasive with Crane, I imagine.

I think his abrasiveness was directed outward.

He’s been out of the game for a while, but he built the foundation for what the Braves are today as most of the young stars were his acquisitions. Not saying the Astros SHOULD interview him, but after reading this, it wouldn’t bother me one bit if Crane chose to do so. Not expecting it though.

Permanent.

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Impermanently eligible?

Temporarily permanent

The only permanence in this world is impermanence

The whole Coppolella thing has always pissed me off. Mainly because: Braves GM gets permanently banned from the game and Astros GM gets suspended for 6 months…yet Astros are the absolute scumbags of the sport. Doesn’t make sense.

Impertinent?